Welcome to Level1 Devember!

Picking up abandoned PRs is a great way to get into this :slight_smile:, but maybe slightly daunting (for me). So far, my approach has been:

• writing docs: gives me a working knowledge about what is the expectation for a certain module
  • writing tests: forces me to understand the codebase, but in somewhat self-contained pieces

And now I’m trying to step-up to bug fixes :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Awesome!!

1 Like

I really want to get involved but I just don’t know where to begin! I need some inspiration!
I’m a PhD student working on computational genomics, I wonder if there is anything I can do on linode which would be useful in bioinformatics :thinking:

2 Likes

I don’t know how far you are in your PhD, if you are just starting, there are many open datasets for genomics that you can play with to get acquainted. There’s the, by now pretty old, 1000 Genomes Project. The Genome browser has gene expression data, and then there’s the Genome in a Bottle (GIAB) project. Although I’m not sure how much of GIAB is open (because of patient privacy), you might need to sign a few ethics forms to get access.

As for what you could do, you could practice some dataset preprocessing on Linode (attempt stuff that requires more compute or memory). Or maybe keep it simple, and just use your local machine to do some data exploration. The sooner you start this kind of experimentation, the faster you can move on to more interesting research questions :wink:

On the other hand, if you are already quite a bit into your PhD, you can share some of your research problems in a thread, I would be happy to participate and share my thoughts from the computational perspective (scientific software is my thing :wink: ). Hope that gives you some ideas :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My Devember project is to learn how to and practice writing software/firmware to control stepper motors, so that I’ll be able to upgrade my 3D printer and build mesh morphing robots.

Wish me luck!

4 Likes

My Devember project is to learn enough OpenCV that I can use it to calibrate an Epson SCARA robot I have floating around:

4 Likes

I have the opposite problem, hah! I’ll try to dump some of my ideas here.

My big fascination these days is decentralization. There are a lot of burgeoning new platforms and technologies with fast-growing ecosystems, that are just waiting for your applications. I often get application ideas while thinking about what problems a particular technology could solve.

• Fediverse: an open standard for interoperable social media. There still isn’t a fediverse tinder :smirk: Fediverse Snapchat might also be a good idea, or maybe a short-form-media platform (like vine / tik-tok / instagram stories / facebook stories). Also it’s quick and easy to build bots for e.g. Mastodon. I especially like bots that post generative art occasionally.

• Matrix: This is my jam. It’s a federated protocol for chat (or real-time-communication in general). It’s super extensible and interoperable with other chat media. It would be awesome to see more bridges for different media. Discord and Slack already work fine, but maybe Matrix needs a discourse bridge? What about a tinder bridge? A CUPS bridge? Maybe control your home IoT stuff using a Matrix bot…

• IPFS: Hot-shit global content-addressible p2p network with sexy stuff like DNS-type linking, pubsub, browser compatibility, etc. I’ve been wanting to build a music streaming service on IPFS for a while. Maybe it should be a Mopidy backend, for maximum compatibility?

• Snapcast: Solution for synchronized multi-room audio streaming. Currently it only streams to unix hosts (it depends on named pipes for some stuff), which is a shame. I want to make it sync to embedded devices (like an esp?) and mobile devices (like android?) as well… A lightweight snapclient library / implementation is kind of missing.

Other technologies that are just waiting for applications include:

• GnuNet
  • Webtorrent
  • Wasm (see for instance this)
  • Guix / Nix
  • ZeroMQ

Also, if you’re familiar with python, you should check out Player1’s Brawl.AI project! It’s a tonne of fun.

2 Likes

Contribute to open source projects!

Find something that you think is interesting, in a language you know, and look through the GitHub issues for an issue that you think you can fix!

2 Likes

Thanks, didn’t even think I would have got a look at, even less 2 replies. It does sort of point at the other half of the problem, just the fact there is so much out there that’s possible, too much it feels sometimes.
But thanks for the support and will definitely have a good look at your ideas. If anything it might kick my brain into frenzied project mode and at the worst I might learn a little something I had no idea existed.
Big thanks . J

1 Like

Hello, I made a little automation tool using ansible to deploy a minecraft server and backup/restore it too. Thought people might enjoy that :slightly_smiling_face: But I need permissions to add links to the github page though :frowning:

1 Like

You should be able to now.

2 Likes

So I made a collection of scripts to make it much easier to setup a fairly competent minecraft server using the spigot build (better than what linode does automatically). It’s using ansible for the automation and a little python script to send rcon commands to the minecraft process rather than using screen or some other nonsense. It can do backups and restorations too. Basically it removes 99% of the effort in getting a server up and keeping it running.

The script is targeted towards entry level linux users/admins and a fairly standard minecraft installation with only one world.

The forum post

The github

I might add more to it in the future and perhaps others would be interested in building upon it too.

2 Likes

I’ll make a website

yeah, whatever

2 Likes

IT IS NOW DEVEMBER! #devember2020

3 Likes

Hopefully this last minute registration still counts!
I’ll try to program a web-app using rust (among other things)

2 Likes

Hope so too, I ran into this post quite late

Going to write a project of mine (that was in gestation) in Rust to learn the language and work on something lower level than my typical web app stuff for a change.

2 Likes

Devember Challenge is to finally get a domain and proxy my services the right way. I should be able to host my blog on my home server and migrate it way from github pages.

My Github
My Blog

More info in my Devember Post:

4 Likes

Hey hey everyone,

I’m a new forum user, and long time Level1 lurker. In my day job I support development teams. Background in systems engineering. Outside of that I’m I guess I’m a developer hobbyist.

For my Devember 2020, I’m looking at solutions to managing my recipes.

3 Likes

Welcome.

1 Like

Greetings,
I have decided to make a full stack diary app.
I do software development for a job, but we are mostly big data/ai focused. I used to do web development for fun at University, so I though I would revive that for Devember.

1 Like