Welcome to Level1 Devember!

Alrighty I put up my devember post!

It’s a rough overview of the why and the how of what I’m building (Matrix web comments thing).
I intentionally left out a bunch of interesting design details, to try and keep it brief.
So if you have any questions, come and talk to me! I’ll gladly elaborate :racehorse:

4 Likes

When you make more progress than expected you enter the challenge.
I have wanted to explore the esp32 and learn micropython, mainly to see how far this combo can go before you need more horse power. I want to explore automation, “web dev”, device interface (real microcontroller stuff), addressable LED control, and whatever else comes my way as explore this micro.

2 Likes

Absolutely not! Devember technically starts in december.

3 Likes

My Devember project is to make and RPM package for plex player and see what it takes to do/maintain it.

2 Likes

Excellent!

I don’t see enough people getting into package maintenance. Very happy to see this! Not glamorous work, but stuff that needs doing nonetheless.

1 Like

Hi there! I’m new here.

My project is to improve AI in computer games or other simulators. Effectively “cockfighting AI” (or bots) for leaderboards.

The challenge for the Devember2020 is to aim to finish my “corona-project” that I started a couple of months ago. It is a bit bigger than something that I could do in a month. I’ve just managed to put a “beta version” of the website up. Not all functionality is there yet. The basics work but that’s about it. I wanted to have something to show before posting here.

2 Likes
3 Likes

This might not be 100% fair as I work full time as a developer since 2018, happy to have the option to work from home in these times.

A while ago (8 months) I started working on a side project that I am trying to urgently get to MVP this month. Think pcpartpicker but for custom keyboards. You pick the parts, submit the builds, filter builds based on parts. Collaborate over part specifications.

Here is the dev URL in the meanwhile. https://dev.keyb.io

Hoping to setup grafana under devember to get a real time dashboard and track traffic and server usage.

project thread Keyb.io pcpartpicker for keyboards RELEASED

EDIT: I moved the update to a new post Welcome to Level1 Devember!

3 Likes

That sounds amazing!
You should put up a thread dedicated to the project. I’d love to follow along on updates.

1 Like

I posted the project thread at the end of the last post. :smile:

1 Like

Hahaha I guess I skim too fast :wink:

1 Like

Here is my devember project. It’s an installer for blind users to get arch up and running without spending days trying to figure out how to enable speech services and the like.

8 Likes

Here is the link for my Devember project.
The plan is to create a gift exchange platform (think secret santa) whilst learning Go and Vue

5 Likes

My Devember goal is to implement a Puyo Puyo style game using Rust with the embedded-graphics crate on a development board running a GD32 RISC-V microcontroller with a tiny little ~1 inch 160x80 LCD screen (the Sipeed Longan Nano.)

I’ve got a post over on Community Blogs, but can’t link here.

Don’t expect my code to be especially “idiomatic” Rust, I’m not a software engineer- just a guy trying to get something to work without the standard library or an allocator. My current code is more like two different prototypes that I need to get working together- so no github link yet (if I could post links. :D)

4 Likes

For Devember 2020, I created a supercut of “protips” from the Level 1 News!

I use youtube-dl to download the auto-generated captions and a python script to search for the phrase “protip” and download/trip the episodes to the correct timestamps. Hope you all enjoy!

3 Likes

As with a lot of these tutorial type things, the biggest problem I have is finding a problem to solve. If anyone could suggest some topics that I could use to kickstart my voyage into this new cloud based thingy. Without the crazy problems thrown at you in a commercial space, coming up with yet another “bubblesort” is just a real pain. Again any help would be appreciated.

1 Like

Hi!
My Devember project is to improve my webdev skils and increase my free time by creating a Union member management tool for my union.

Thanks for holding this awesome event!

4 Likes

Even though I’m a reasonably experienced programmer, my FOSS contributions are pretty weak. I have been attempting to be a more active contributor for a long time now. So my #devember2020 project is to fix one bug a week in a FOSS project I use.

5 Likes

This is genuinely great.

I’ve been trying to contribute more to open source projects. It’s been p4oving harder than it seems. I’ve got an open feature PR that’s been going on since June! (Though I might just be a shit programmer)

1 Like

Ya, even if you ignore the social and psychological factors, contributing to FOSS projects can be a bit daunting. My biggest challenge has been to gain familiarity with the codebase. There is so much history behind every decision, it can be quite overwhelming.

I think my recent progress has been thanks to good debuggers :stuck_out_tongue: I put in some effort to learn a bit more of the commands, and options, and thanks to effective UIs like VScode and pudb.

BTW, good luck with your PR :slight_smile:

2 Likes