Welcome to Level1 Devember!

At this point, I’m not sure if I can commit to the time required, but I do have an idea.

I use xBrowserSync to sync my bookmarks and ArchiveBox as my personal webpage saving/archiving service. I want to be able to easily import my bookmarks into ArchiveBox directly from xBrowserSync, but not all of them, only bookmarks from specific folders.

So, I will need to download, decrypt, and parse the xBrowserSync api format. Then select bookmarks that are in specific formats, and finally import them into ArchiveBox. I’m planning on running this on the machine that my ArchiveBox instance is on.

Edit, thead here:

7 Likes

I actually have an app idea that basically only solves a problem at work for me. But still a reason to code. So…

8 Likes

In order to further my understanding of orchestration tools, I think my worthy challenge would be to port all my existing manual configurations into salt stack.

This is usually a real pita when ever I have to rebuild something and forgot how to to do it.

7 Likes

I’m in…
As every time I will try and make a game and I will just finish some basic mechanic and be done with it :smiley:
I will do what I can to basically commit 30 hours or so during the month.
I may even start now-ish to set up some basic stuff so I don’t do setup for the first week or so…

7 Likes

Not sure I want anyone to see the mess I can make given an editor…

Anyway. Brace yourself for the attempt at making (and finishing) a small puzzle game.

10 Likes

My daily work includes maintaining and managing complex linux systems, automation and various human factors. I do have a CS background and like to find bugs, features and solutions.

This project was born around 2 years ago as a small proof-of-concept after talking to a friend about “Hey, how can we make the system boot into a fully encrypted disk” - the lazy way.
Going through multiple levels of paranoia, best practices and security knowledge, this is where I landed so far in the implementation.

Link to the Project blog forum post and GitHub repository.

Goal for the #devember2020 is to implement notification and some signing check application (android app or similar) to allow better control over when things are allowed to happen/trusted.

Update: Due to full time work and other coding I did not get diving into the android app part, but did add a small perl script call inside my ssh authentication portion on the “key holder” side to notify me when an unlock event/attempt happens.

Side note: I did learn that Android phones do not boot without battery, but soldering usb directly (to the where the battery normally connects) does work (Disclaimer: do not try this at home without reading docs on what you actually do, or when the device contains data you want to access later on).

6 Likes

I will join in and likely make a game. I have several side projects that I have been tinkering around with, making and re-making, so this will be a good excuse to pick one and stay focused on it.

So is Devember starting early, or is this thread for getting hyped for the next 2 months?

6 Likes

Not sure how much work will be required for this and if it will last to december, but I was planning to start on this now so might as well try to join: project thread. I’m terrible at naming, so no repo yet.

The goal is to make a small web interface to the Nyaa torrent tracker to try organize the mess of releases to make it a bit more convenient.

I will certainly not do anything on Mondays, but I will try to get a little bit work on it each day otherwise. My Github has been very quiet the last two years and I want to try to get back to doing hobby coding a bit more regularly.

4 Likes

My Devember project is to learn the Rust programming language by creating a flight pattern and prediction software. Be sure to lick that like button and smash that subscribe

HIT THE BELL TO BE NOTIFIED EVERY TIME YOUR INSANITY JUMPS UP TWO POINTS

6 Likes

I see why L1T recommends Linode :wink:

12 Likes

Hello, World!

9 Likes
8 Likes

Hi, my name is Max, and I’m a hobby software developer(would like to be a professional sometime), and I really like Lua.
I’ve just created the post for my Devember project, Lua Libraries for crazy bootable devember challenge

As the title might already suggest, my goal is to produce a small, bootable image(for VM’s and real hardware) using buildroot(a toolchain for creating embedded Linux images) that runs a few cool example programs for my Lua libraries.

Specifically, I want a custom window-based GUI, and a simple game, along with some other cool example programs(without using SDL, X11, graphics drivers, image formats other than bitmap, or really anything I haven’t implemented myself, besides the kernel and some core utils).

I’ve implemented a lot of that separately already, in a hacky, ugly way, and I want to do it again(in a maybe less ugly way).

13 Likes

Cool stuff!

Happy codding ya˙all. :smiley:

5 Likes

Just posted my devember project on the community blog

I am creating a virtual tabletop for RPGs similar to roll20.

8 Likes

Very nice!

I’ve been brewing a Discord bot to outsource all the character sheet forms, roll20 links, and all that jazz for some friends’ homebrew for fun. And, y’know, learning experience.

I will watch with great interest.

3 Likes

Awesome!
I will keep the forum posted

1 Like

Hi, I’m making a discord bot that uses rich presence, chat functionality and docker to easily spin up game servers. Mainly because I don’t want to SSH all the time.

I’m working for a startup company at the minute so it’s time when I can find it.

But it’s already in a working state and I’m just adding features now.

7 Likes

I would just remind everyone to exercise your right to vote, cause all the options are pretty much equal…

2 Likes

I was super hyped to get started with linode but you’ll need to enter a valid CC that isn’t as common in the EU was it is in the US, so sadly no Linode Devember for me. :frowning:

Well, time to check out another hosting service for Devember 2020 :partying_face: :desktop_computer:

1 Like