Weirdest issue ever: 20.04 Live media fails to type in Terminal on X79 systems

I’ve used my Ubuntu 20.04.1 live image with no issues on X299, B450 and X570, but when I tried for the first time to use my live image with my X79 system, genuinely the weirdest issue occurs:

The keyboard properly types in other GNOME applications, but fails to type anything in Terminal, and specifically with X79 systems.

Would this be an issue with the kernel USB drivers? Or something completely different?

Weird.

If it works in other applications? I wouldn’t think so.
Did you check what journalctl says? Maybe there will be clue there.

Also maybe just characters are invisible. Did you try another term?

Or you meant text console rather than graphical term?

No, it’s gnome-terminal.

Right. So did you try basic xterm? or xfce4-terminal, mate-teminal, any other term?

What about journalctl?

1 Like

I just tried again and it even did it in gnome-calculator.

The thing that seems to make it happen more is going from a reboot of 18.04 into a boot of the 20.04 live image using the BIOS’ “Boot Override” function. Coldboots don’t seem to be affected.

One note is my X79 system has a dedicated swap partition and it’s mounted by 20.04.1’s live image.

Could be chipset related. Generally on previous generation boards they had an add on USB 3.0 controller with the primary USB 2.0 controller. Did you try your USB 2.0 ports?, did you try switching the port after post? Did you try opening a new tty (cntl + alt + f2, f3,f4,f5,etc )
You might need to delay something at boot as well.

Whats your dmesg output?

1 Like

Live Image should be working off its own device [external], along with seeing your existing internal drive, no?

My suspicion is the swap has something to do with it. Every cold boot I’ve tried doesn’t run into this problem.

The keyboard was plugged into the USB 2.0 ports.

As with my comment earlier, the Live Media should be working, in its own resource bubble. Why would it be taking in the swap cache, from off your other drive?.. Does your live drive contain free space?

Ok, so other apps are affected too. If 20.04 live only one you tried?
Because I would try other live distro (Manjaro, MX, Fedora), to see if maybe this is distro specific, or simlply your USB stick has some write errors on it.

You still didn’t posted any logs, like journalctl or dmesg. They really may shed some light on it. Otherwise its guessing game.

Disconnect drive with swap, and that will confirm or deny your suspicions.