Weird thing happening with my TV playing NES

OK, I have an original NES, hooked up via the rca connectors in the back of my tv. TV is a TCL 55". Specific model is 55S401, serial number is YN00JL885572.

Whenever I play ANY NES game, alot of times mid jump, run, standing still, the game will switch from 4:3 To 16:9 and back. And I can walk, run or move back to the spot where it will do it, and it will stay 16:9. I’ll take a video and upload it to my youtube for you to see what it does.

Weirdness

Anyone got any ideas?

Can you set your TV’s aspect ratio to 4:3 instead of auto? That should solve the problem, although you would have to set it back to auto for other content.

1 Like

Yes, and it even does it then.

Ok, that’s weird. Sounds like an issue with the TV to me. If that didn’t help, I’m out of ideas, sorry.

1 Like

just tried my snes. it doesn’t do it with that

thats not 4:3 to 16:9 switching, that is overscan switching. maybe look for a ‘game mode’ setting or ‘large’ or even ‘zoom’ i do not know what TCL calls it.

Have you updated the firmware for the tv?

Nope, and does tcl even do that? I thought they were one of the few who don’t

I don’t know if tcl does it. With most electronics these days being “smart” I just figured it would have an option to update the firmware.

Have some friends that are … how do I put this … less tech savy than most but are being forced forward as thing break or services are discontinued. As in they just got their first smart phone because their cell phone company discontinued 3g service and their old phone could only do max 3g.

But the bigger thing is they have a blu ray player and it didn’t want to play a newer blu ray disk. An update to the blu ray player’s firmware fixed the issue.

Hence the recommendation to update the firmware.

My $0.02 for what it’s worth!