Weird thermal issues on my recently-purchased Ryzen 5 1600 AF

Operating system shouldn’t matter, period. This is a 65w TDP CPU. You have a cooler or airflow issue as you said you applied voltage offsets and even disabled PBO with no boosting at all. If you can’t keep that CPU at sane temperature then there’s something wrong with the cooling system. There’s no workload at stock settings that should be able to thermal throttle you given your cooler is up to snuff and not sitting in a pocket of its own heat. I know you said you can feel airflow but that really doesn’t mean anything.

Pull the side off the case and run without it, try another cooler, ramp up fan speeds, whatever it takes. This really shouldn’t be unmanageable because there’s simply not that much power consumption.

2 Likes

KSysGuard! It’s an amazing little monitoring tool that came with Manjaro KDE. I’m assuming it’s the default system monitor that comes with most KDE-based distributions. You can download other tabs for more monitoring information or you can make your own, too.

The above screenshot was about 5 minutes after idling on the desktop. As you can see it jumped from a cool ~29 ° C (the lowest I’ve ever seen it, but I suppose that’s to be expected with the side panel off) up into the mid 70s.

The above screenshot here was during a match of Mordhau. It was at a comfortable ~41° C until the Spike™.

I even moved an old desk fan and pointed it right into the chassis and had it going on full blast and it made no difference. It would still spike occasionally. I really don’t think it’s an airflow issue.

Unfortunately the fans that came with the case aren’t pwm.

I’ll have to find some time to take it apart again and try it with the stock 1600 AF cooler that I never used. It could be some sort of manufacturing error with the Mugen, I suppose.

Again I want to thank everybody for replying. I seriously appreciate this.

mid 70s is what I would expect out of the stock cooler, but at least its manageable. Something just isnt making sense here though. I’m not hip on that cooler, but tests put it in a similar performance range of the noctua nh u14 which if so, should not even struggle with this CPU.

Yeah, the reason I bought it was performance somewhere between the NH-U14 and NH-D15 but for only like $50 and comes with a low-rpm fan for less noise. I was going for mostly silent operation but these temperature issues are super annoying.

Hey all. Sorry for the long time since I’ve posted an update.

The issue is pretty much resolved, now.

The issue was, as many people pointed out, airflow. Or at least I think it was.

I got a decent amount of free time a few weeks ago and ordered a Noctua 120mm fan to take the place of the Scythe Kaze Flex fan that came with my cooler.

I put the Noctua fan on the Scythe Mugen 5 and moved the Kaze Flex to the front (replacing whatever fan comes stock with the Phanteks P400A Digital) for more intake.

I haven’t throttled in a game at all, I’ve even been able to turn PBO and Core Performance Boost back on and I’ve never seen temps above the high 50°s C.

The strange heating issue still persists slightly when doing low-performance mode stuff like idling on the desktop or browsing the web. It’s very rare that it happens at all, and it never gets above ~75° C when it does happen. I’m pretty sure I just need to adjust my fan curve or add another good fan, though.

Sorry for wasting everybody’s time. I really didn’t think that airflow would be the issue because I thought it would affect the system constantly rather than intermittently.

Thanks for the help, everyone. It was seriously much appreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.