Weird freezes on a 5700XT sapphire pulse

I’ll take a look after work, thanks for the link.

As an update, it was the bios. If anyone is facing the same issue, i’m using a MSI SLI PLUS X370, BIOS 7A33v3H or newer breaks, while BIOS 7A33v3F or below works on windows.

But since i need the latest BIOS for my M.2 to work, i’m just shit out of luck on this one.

1 Like

Can you elaborate please?

Hmmm… makes me wonder if there isn’t an issue with RAM stability between BIOS revisions. Were you running your memory with an XMP profile? If you feel like troubleshooting further maybe run a memtest and verify everything is currently stable. Then upgrade your BIOS and run the test again.

I have an old SSD with windows installed and an m.2 S11 XPG Gammix Pro. Downgrading the BIOS makes me able to play Wrath of the Righteous on Windows without issue (previously it would freeze on load).

However, with the downgraded version i can’t boot on my M.2, it isn’t recognized in the boot order as a device. If i point towards the “Hard drive” option, where the gammix should be, it just asks me to plug in a boot device or restart. Since i can’t be without linux due to work, i just have to bite the bullet and wait for next gen to come out so i can buy a new pc.

It’s been disabled for a while since i noticed this issue, but sure, i’ll run a memtest later today.

That is a weird problem.

1 Like

install the older BIOS version then boot to the windows installer and run the ‘repair’ utility. it should find the windows install and fix the boot manager.

Does each BIOS have a different default for “UEFI/legacy” boot?

Take it apart and clean it and redo all the heat sinks!

This is a decent plan. I suggest also keeping an eye on the used market. It’s highly probable you will be able to buy a good card, like a 6700xt or something, for well below MSRP on the used market within the next few months.

Ran with no issues. At this point i just accepted that this can’t be fixed without risking messing with my income (this pc).

oh boot manager is fine, the issue is freezes in specific situations depending on bios version really.

Hmm, that’s a good point, i’m pretty sure the default is always UEFI + legacy for this mobo, but if it did change it would explaing not booting. When i have some time i will try it out.

Yeah my concern is that this issue is caused by something else other than the GPU. I’ve never seen a GPU bug out like this, and since bios version fixes it, it may be related to my M.2. At this point it’s just wild speculation though, i have no idea what’s going on in this pc, but my prime suspect is the M.2.

If i had the time i would pull it out and install manjaro on an old SSD to see if it still breaks. If i ever do that i’ll update it here in case anyone finds themselves in the same situation.

1 Like

Idk if you watched my video, but I noticed my problem shortly after a BIOS update, and chased my tail on that for a while.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.