Webserver to synology nas trying to follow along with his advanced tutorial I have no business following

I’m trying to follow along with "It’s world backup day ssh,rsync,synology. This would save money backing up a remote webserver because I already am backing stuff up from a NAS and would give me 3:2:1. Most online tutorials for doing computer stuff I can skim. But his has lots of baby steps missing. So I’m sshed from my computer (local) to the remote host to my Nas (local). I set up an ssh key but it requires a password for the user. Trying to run the python script. (it say perl script but I think they changed the script to python since). I assume I run this on the nas after reading the file. The script is throwing the error: not invoked via sshd. I think open VPN is on the Synology (but not sure). So my guess is I have to go to a passwordless ssh key. Is that correct? I really don’t want to mess with the ssh key if I don’t have to. I have yet to setup rsync or a cron. That comes later right?

This seems like the wrong place for tech support based on what I’m seeing. Most YouTubers who talk about how to’s allow the community to help others. So I figured since it does happen in other places… I’d post and see if it is allowed.

I’ve been trying to get a tier-one helpdesk job. I don’t think level one is the same as tier one.

Welcome. Who’s guide are you following? Could you link it?

It sounds like you are stuck at the part where you add the authorize keys to the authorized key file so that the systems can do password-less logon. To do this, you basically take the public key contents of your machine that will be performing the backup and add it to the authorized_keys file of the machine that the backup system will be logging into.

Example:) The NAS is doing the backups and will be running rsync. So take the NAS’s public key (usually id_rsa_pub) and add it to the authorized_keys or authorized_hosts file of the target machine. Et voila, you should be able to log on. Now to make things easier, you want to ensure that the logon account exists on both systems so that you do not have to configure logon name flags in ssh and rsync.

But again, I could be jumping the gun so please link us to what you are looking at.