Webinar solution, experiences and recommendations

Hi Level1,

I need a solution for hosting a series of live academic webinars, I’ve been looking a 2 main alternatives OpenMeetings and BigBlueButton.

Have you had any experience whith either one?

If so, It would help me a lot to know about your hardware configuration, performance, experiences, and general opinions.

I have a VPS running CentOS and CPanel that I use for my web developoment business. I host some websites but no that many, so I though of hosting the solution on it.

The VPS has 2 CPU Cores 4 GB RAM

Do you think it would be enough to run either solution?

We would be streaming to around 20 or 30 students.

If not, what config would you recommend?

Thanks!

Use Zoom.

Works on all platforms.

Decentralized.

I need to brand it and personalize the look and feel.

I’ve used zoom, but anybody can do that. I need to add more value, the courses will be financed by advertisers.

Add more value? As a student, I couldn’t care less for branding. Just give me what I want at semi high hit rate and at 1080p and I’m happy.

When ever I’m in meetings, or webinars or what ever, the focus is in communication effectively. Hell, just stream from twitch.

If a prof did live streams from twitch I’d sure be impressed. Nothing is more impressive than having students able to join on any platform with just a single click IMO.

Thank you.

Although I hope somebody else has had experience with an Open Source and Web-Based solution.

I think you’re right about the single click part but, I wouldn’t like to depend on a 3rd party.

1 Like

Yeah I totally get that. Self hosting is awesome.