Web Site help

Hey guys,

I am wanting to create my self a web site for photography and to show off/improve my web development, I have made small project pages and sites in the past for school, use for English projects and stuff like that, I made web pages over power points to standout. I want to see if web development is for me, i want to become a developer of some sort, either a cloud, web or application developer and want to explore them all to some extend before picking what is it is i really want to do.

So my big concerns are hosting and what langues should I pick up.

Where should I host the website what should I look for in features. I am not extremely new to web development as far as HTML and CSS, but I have just been practicing and learning with test sites not online or just on a home network sever.

I am not amazing at any, but in know HTML, CSS, java, C++ and SQL. I have not used them just have taken the classes and have done school projects I am willing to learn anything computer science related. I want the website to show my growth as a developer as i move forward and I plan to use it kind of like a blog in a way, I want to have screen shots of the website for ever iteration and I want to make it where it has information about my self and maybe a blog, I have ideas like making the website post to twitter when I update it and things like that, not to ever use just to learn how i would do it just learn how if would if it is possible. I plan to work on the site a few times a week and update pretty often.I want to use it so i can give a website like possible customers to my photography and even colleges/employers.

And I intend to have the domain and hosting up before I actually build the site I know not the best idea for money and stuff, but It will put a fire under my butt to get it done, also it lets me show my friends/family what I am doing.

What do you think about the idea. Any questions. Also sorry for bad English/grammar.

Sorry for the lazy answer, levelone already made two or three videos about some hosting solutions.

Yes, the link says teksyndycate, that's because the past is a grotesque animal, I promise that's their channel :wink:.

PS: If you have an student email (with .edu ) you should experiment with free hosting and free domains for students first ( IMO )

I am looking for the video now thanks and the Tek days or since level one?

did not know that was an option would it be any different than a normal host?

Free things always have restrictions but they're free, I don't remember where I got mine, just google "free hosting for students" or something and you'll get there. github has free student thingys and one of the free things is a 1 year domain.

I recommended those just to do experiments and such, to learn how to do some stuff and when you're ready and pay for the real hosting and domain you won't waste time making mistakes :slight_smile:

Alright thanks I will look into it.

Any chance you could link directly to the vid/s you're talking about?
TIA

can't find them, maybe the videos are in one of the other channels (or maybe It was a dream?)

1 Like

Github has a student pack for a lot of cool developer tools including some hosting. $50 in digital ocean hosting gets you 10 months of a $5 VPS which is really handy. With that you can run your own LAMP server or really anything Linux based.

1 Like

Shared web hosting or dedicated VPS hosting? Do you want to control the server or have someone else do it?

ovh (mainly in Europe) do cheap dedicated vps hosting that come with a CPanel front end for managing server, or you can choose to install your OS of choice and manage everything yourself. €3+VAT a month for single core, 2GB ram, 10GB ssd, 1 IPV4 & 1 IPV6 public ip. They have cheap .ovh domains from €1+VAT per year also.

Their shared hosting starts from €2+VAT and includes a free domain (note that shared hosting will limit your server/language options but chances are they will cover the ones you want).

If in US, maybe Digial Ocean? (on a side note digital ocean have amazing tutorials for setting up and managing a VPS; webservers, SSL, loadbalacing...)

Okay so onto the web stuff! Next question is what web stack? Apache web server with Mysql database? Now what backend server/language? PHP, Python with web framework (django or flask), Ruby with Ruby on Rails?

I found PHP was a decent beginner language; can't speak for the others. Although if you're going python, go django as flask is a minimal framework for you to build from. Not beginner friendly.

After this you will use your backend language to receive info from the user (GET/POST requests), interact with the database and output the coressponding HTML for the web requests.

@ipushpeople is this the video you're thinking of?

There are a couple more videos on the Level1Linux channel that include info about hosting.

I use HostGator for my hosting and it's been good so far. They offer both shared and dedicated hosting.

As for languages to know, you'll definitely want to learn JavaScript. I use PHP, but there are other substitutes for server-side scripting like Java, which you already know.

Here's a link to a bunch of videos about web development, and other programming languages in general.
https://thenewboston.com/videos.php

If you want full control over the server (I mean, as opposed to some restricted panel kind of hosting) I recommend https://www.digitalocean.com/ they provide VPS from $5/mo. You can deploy an image of Ubuntu server with LAMP stack in few clicks, as well as many other apps and OSes.

If you want to try it out, you can use my referral link to get $10 for free so you can test it if you like it.
The referral link: https://m.do.co/c/8757d532e335

They also have nice tutorials on how to set things up: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials

If you are going to develop static websites, you can use Github Pages to host your projects... Its good as far as I know.