Web browsers and how they perform against AMD and Intel CPUs vs different OSes and RAM speeds

HI guys
I have a very specific question concerning web browsers in 2019. I have searched the net and have come up with no results. I have come to the land of great minds for help.

How do performance of web browsers (edge, chrome. chromium, FF, Opera) compare when 1) they operate in AMD and Intel CPU chips, and 2) different operating systems (Win10, Mac OS, Ubuntu, Arch, Mint) and 3) RAM speeds?

Thank you all!

Does it not all boil down to engine performance? Chrome vs Firefox basically?

compare in what way?

Here’s some windows vs linux flavors benchmarks: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=windows10-linux-browsers&num=1
No intel vs amd that I know of.

Realistically though, for both firefox and chome once you get past 6 cpu cores and 16gb of ram, there’s really not going to be much in the way of performance limitations that’s going to limit your browser experience, even with too many tabs open and multitasking with MS office.

Fixed a spelling mistake in your title

2 Likes

Did you really have to blue post that?

I’ll throw my 7700k in the ring on any browser benchmark with any browsers. Any AMD users want to do the same?

Let’s make some data points.

List CPU model, frequency, Amount and speed of ram.

3 Likes

I would venture a guess that single tabs are heavily single threaded so performance for specific sites will really come down to the cpus single thread. Beyond that theres probably not much actual difference you would notice.

Can provide R7 1700x on Win7 and maybe Fedora 29 and R5 2600 on Win10.

I have fedora 29 installed and win10

name your browser

Vivaldi, can provide Chromium, Opera and Firefox.

If we did vivaldi would there be any need for chromium?

I thought we were here to find out, no?

arent they the same engine?

I mean, I guess we can for shits and giggles.

what benchmark would you like to run?

No idea, never benched a browser.

well theres a few options I know of but they’re all rendering oriented which isnt very reflective of day to day tasks.

I say we pick one of these three and stick with that

https://browserbench.org/

Speedometer sounds good.

So speedometer benchmark, on vivaldi, chrome/chromium, opera, firefox, in both windows 10 and fedora 29?

oh and what resolution? I suppose it matters.

For now I can only do Win7. Will be next week or so before Win10 happens.

well then we can just do fedora 29 then? I’m not installing 7. Its a pita.

Why not collect everything?
Maybe we need a seperate thread.