Web browsers and how they perform against AMD and Intel CPUs vs different OSes and RAM speeds

well theres a few options I know of but they’re all rendering oriented which isnt very reflective of day to day tasks.

I say we pick one of these three and stick with that

https://browserbench.org/

Speedometer sounds good.

So speedometer benchmark, on vivaldi, chrome/chromium, opera, firefox, in both windows 10 and fedora 29?

oh and what resolution? I suppose it matters.

For now I can only do Win7. Will be next week or so before Win10 happens.

well then we can just do fedora 29 then? I’m not installing 7. Its a pita.

Why not collect everything?
Maybe we need a seperate thread.

I’ve got the drive and focus to do testing now, I will likely not have it later.

I think so too.

Op, feel free to participate

1 Like

I was thinking more like… user experience… like say a person opens 100 youtube links, and based on the different setups, would the user reach 100% CPU faster, or swiching tabs, whether there is an effect, speed of opening links etc…

Well not necessarily as of today. Chrome 74 disables hyperthreading on intel for one…

Thank you for your input @Adubs. I greatly appreciate it.

I’ll rephrase the question slightly differently, so perhaps you and everyone can see what I am trying to get at:

Assuming with the best network LAN and/or wireless speeds available to the regular person, what operating systems (including various linux disks) and hardware combinations will you have to put together the ultimate browser computer, where you will spend 100% on your browser working and watching everything?

I too surmise the threadripper or AMDs to do well. But @thro here mentioned hypethreading is disabled?!??!?! Is this true?

Yup, due to security issue that dropped yesterday.

edit:
ahh, my bad. ChromeOS not chrome.

Soon™

It’s possible to turn hyperthreading back on, if one would like to.

And again, like the spectre mitigations, this is a serious overreaction to a problem that basically only affects cloud solutions, virtualized environments and systems where multiple users work on one machine at the same time.
I have no clue why this should be a problem on a chromeOS machine.

2 Likes

Is it an overreaction though?
It allows advertisements in the browser to steal passwords.

1 Like

How that? Afaik it’s only a Problem with processes on seperate threads and on the same core. And even then the data you get is mostly random. The actual exploit is incredibly hard. And if anyone is at a point where they can exploit this, there are much easier ways to get some passwords out of your browser.

It’s not impossible. But the actual risk is close to non existent on a Laptop. This will mostly be interesting for braking Hypervisors Security.

The combination of Rowhammer, Spectre, Meltdown, RIDL, Fallout, Zombieload makes it rather easy to grab what you want and do so rather quickly.

2 Likes

But are those easy? These aren’t massively occurring in the wild. Don’t piss off any Ph.D. in Computer Science specializing in security research and you’re probably okay.

The sarcasm in that last bit should be implied, but just in case, I am being sarcastic. Stop crying.

1 Like