Return to Level1Techs.com

We should have a Wiki

So it seems like the L1T team (who are doing a top rate job, by the way) really wants to encourage a strong Linux/user controlled computing experience. Which I am fully in favor of. Now, I typically am reserved about Wikis because oftentimes they can negatively impact communities when they are like “just see the Wiki”, but they also are pretty handy in that they’re ways to file static information and allow community input at the same time.

For instance, we could have pages about IOMMU passthrough, setting up Nextcloud, etc. If something changes, it’s obviously not feasible to make a whole new video about it, but a Wiki is easily editable and can stay up to date. It would be cool to have and a good guide toward getting people started on various things.

Just a thought. Not sure how feasible it’d be to integrate with the site, or if it’s the type of thing that L1T has in mind for its future at all.

This is actually something we, the Leaders, have been trying to solve.

@eden ran his own wiki for awhile, not sure if its still up. But most of us came to the decision to have wikis as part of the forum since it didn’t require an external tool.

You can see most of this as guides, although I admit, the content is a little sparse.

. This is part of a look at making a wiki like section of the forum for people to make and share their guides, tutorials, and information without it getting lost in the noise.

what @Dynamic_Gravity is talking about
https://forum.level1techs.com/t/official-community-experimental-wiki/98034
its dead

I think I would argue that the way content moves around the forum makes it very difficult to maintain an easily accessible repository. You’re limited to a sticky that manually references material, but you can’t really cross-reference between articles that way, and you’re relying on a handful of people with editing permissions to maintain the sticky.

The data is still there FYI, so contributions that did happen can be ported but it just wasn’t visible enough really.

There was some experiments with trying something in the forum and potentially having topics from specific wiki sections auto generate a ‘wiki’ site, but we’re not far on that atm except from having a wiki category. It’s definitely not the best way of doing it.

The wiki cater can be made to have posts editable by default by all I think as well as potentially having a landing page to link all the content, but it’s still not ideal and still suffers the visibility issue.

I’d be willing to host a community Wiki (as long as the traffic doesn’t get out of hand) but obviously whenever I stop being involved it will suffer from the same continuity problem and what not.

I’d rather you not as it would actually put quite a bit of responsibility on you, and if by any chance it does take off (unlikely), the increasing cost of maintaining such a thing starts to become problematic.

Nothing against you, but I don’t want you to tie yourself down with a project of this kind unless you are absolutely ready for it.

Hosting isn’t the issue, it’s the work for making integration. I love discourses wiki functionality but it’s not super intuitive. Lot of users bitched about the wiki sidebar, which was done to make it more prominent.

Main l1 site redesign is inbound as well.

No, I agree it’s not an optimal solution. It’d have to eventually be moved to L1T, I’d really only do it as a trial run.

I haven’t really used their Wiki function, but I think it might be more to do with the expectation of a Wiki being kind of “outside” of the discussion environment. Discourse isn’t exactly designed for easy reference.

Also, Wikipedia styled software like DokuWiki is very easy to interpret and near-ubiquitous across the entire internet. Alternately, BookStack is a really sleek, modern look while using a lot of the same syntax. They don’t have native Discourse support, but something like Discourse’s SSO might be workable into a 3rd party auth for Bookstack.

Buuuuut…nearly everything I know about hosting and web development I learned from you, so I will leave the experts to it lol.

Have we considered making a separate official wiki, hosted by you (Level1)? If we could get SSO between discourse and the wiki, or even if we didn’t, an official wiki would be way better than running something off a different domain. Having a wiki.level1techs.com sort of deal would feel way better imo.

I know it would be an ask on the teams part to handle it, but you mentioned that hosting isn’t the problem.

I absolutely agree with everyone here.
A wiki would be great (as long as it is visible enough on the forum).
:+1:

I only slightly agree it would be a good idea. Because Theres are tons of wikis already out there, example arch wiki. In my opinion it would be better served writing articles for specific subjects either written by users or by l1t on the website and a sticky section in the forum on where to actually research rather than duplicating effort.
Teach a person how to fish kinda thing.

One thing does not exclude the other. Having some kind of repository for good documentation and resources is certainly a good idea. The problem with the forum format is, that useful content can easily get buried over time. Maybe making better use of tags would work, idk.

Since it’s generally licensed as Creative Commons it wouldn’t matter. So you could then just copy the relevant data to other wikis if you wanted

Currently maintaining Confluence at work, having very liberal use of labels feeds the search engine to positive effect. Initial problem is working out what labels each wiki page is relevant to and guessing what your target end user is searching for.

A format update and dedicated sub-domain will help discoverability, but since it’s a very wide range of subjects the structure would have to be broad ie: Linux/Windows/Networking/Programming as a very basic hierarchy example. Usually the structure is defined by the organization mission statement. “No more open buckets!”

+1 for BookStack, will give that a try on the weekend to play with.

My problem is everything is built with PHP and there doesn’t seem to be any PWA wiki’s.

Well, devember is right around the corner.

Also, Confluence is a JSP thing. If you want to pay for it.