WD Shipment from Hell

The best but is the boxes flat pack, and the plastic trays stack, so much less wasted space and weight

see post #7.

Yeah, I don’t buy the conspiracy to cover up failed drives.
They could be shipping out returns as good, and letting them get destroyed in transit, but I don’t buy it.
I mean, they have swapped out components for inferior ones without saying and done other harms, but I still think it is more incompetent decision, than outright fraud in this case- if they didn’t have the packaging, or manpower to fulfil orders, should have stopped taking them.

But, they Could have been doing some hanky panky in the background

I really don’t know what’s going on with WD to be honest.

Tuesday the replacement drives I ordered arrived - what’s weird is their distribution centre still showed them on back-order, yet they were in my hands.

Of the 8 WD Gold 16TB drives that arrived, one was DOA. I’ve been trying since Tuesday to RMA the drive - and you can imagine how that is going? It’s still sitting here and we’re still waiting to build the TrueNAS array cause you can’t add drives to an existing ZFS store; only build additional VDEVs and then add those. Don’t want to do that atm.

To my shock though, the drives arrived in exactly the same condition - little plastic caps that were supposed to be on each end of the drives, but because they are so flimsy, they come loose during shipping and the drives are left to bounce around in their anti-static bags. I mean, WTF WD?

I ordered a replacement drive from NewEgg - it’s arriving today so at least I can get the array built. Some day WD will allow me to return this DOA for a refund.

Will I buy from WD direct again in the future - nope. Don’t need the headache.

1 Like

you have too much faith in humanity.

this is the most famous instance,

but even IBM tried to hide the numbers of the DeathStar drives, and those are only 2 examples that made huge media coverage.

1 Like

You have too little faith in umman beens. Even Seagate didn’t ship drives as bad as this with their 3TB disasters after the floods… edit:Nevermind

AFAIK that was MiniScribe covering up inventory discrepancies by pretending to ship out drives. Only after that case of fraud was made public, the rumor of “I was shipped a brick” emerged.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.