Ways to store hard drives?

Like many of you on this forum, I tinker quite a bit with servers and enterprise stuff. I have a lot of old spare hardware kicking around, especially hard drives. I feel like it's probably a bad idea to just stack them on a shelf (or a toilet LTT style) plus it makes it very difficult to get at one drive without unstacking all of them and potentially dropping some.

I'd like to make or buy some kind of a rack for storing drives, but I really haven't seen anything like this before. Anybody have suggestions? I'm open to building or buying but I would prefer something inexpensive.

Got something similar to this lying arround:

1 Like

Get an ammo crate and sone foam yer good

I've got two of these, i like them alot.

1 Like

Use an old cd rack and put empty cd cases in it spaced apart enough to make little shelves for drives to sit on.

4 Likes

I am going to have to get that. Thanks for sharing.
Right now I basically have the same thing, but it is plastic and doesn't have the foam inserts. I am using those plastic deelies that are included in the box when you buy a drive to keep the drives from wobbling about. I was thinking about getting a fireproof safe.

VHS cases happen to take 3.5" drives perfectly, and provide a bit of protection. You can also get VHS storage for next to nothing from charity shops these days!

In Japan I've seen cardboard storage boxes with dividers. Very cheap and effective, but offers little protection.

1 Like