WAV File Metadata Editor

So I was wondering if anyone knows/can recommend a WAV file metadata editor, specifically one that stores the metadata at/near the beginning of the file, rather than the end of the file.

You can try to use FFMPEG maybe. I know that it will allow you to edit the metadata but I don’t know if it will allow you to position where it goes. There is a standard that usually dictates that with files.

WAV files have a header that announces what they are. Having the metadata at the head of the file might cause it to not playback properly or at all. WAVs are also used for streaming audio for example in PCM channels.

First of all this is a rather absurd request, Why would you want this?

File formats don’t normally allow for data to be put in random places. Sometimes theres an offset that determines the start point of a dataset.

For example, Wave format defines total file length and data length while the waveform data is expected at 0x44. This requires the tag data to remain at the end.

http://soundfile.sapp.org/doc/WaveFormat/

I noticed that when using programs like MP3Tag to add metadata such as album artwork to WAV files, the data would be shifted to the end of the file rather than keeping it in front like before. I used HxD Editor for this process -comparison. I’m figuring if the data is stored near/at the front of the file rather than the back/end, that Windows Media Player may be able to see the album artwork metadata directly from the file.

WAV files were not designed or amended to store complex metadata. If this is for a personal music collection, I would recommend using FLAAC instead. That is basically a wrapper around an uncompressed WAV (if you encode it properly). You can then do the nifty MP3 tag stuff with that and still have your high bit rate audio.

Gave it a shot, and couldn’t even find the run file. Like it was just a bunch of files, but no exe or msi etc…

Sorry,

FFMPEG is a CLI based tool, you would run the FFMPEG.exe with command line options when you found where it lives. On MS Windows, it probably lives in a bin folder in the folder structure some where. I don’t use Windows so I am not sure if more is involved. You could do a folder search for ffmpeg.