Waterloop Woes

Hello all, really need some input here…

I feel like I’m missing something basic and essential here and I can’t wrap my head around it. I have built the following:

Dual DDC 3.2 with res -> EK CPU Block -> EK XE 480 -> EK GPU Block -> Monsta 480
halp

Up until now, the only hard rule I ever followed has been to put the reservoir above the pump intake and it seemed to always work fine. But now I’m at a loss. The fluid refuses to flow through the system. It appears as if some unsurmountable pocket of air keeps the loop from functioning. Even when all tubes appear filled there still seems to be no real flow. Once I put load on the videocard it almost immediately rises to its throttling point. The entrance fitting feels cold while the exit fitting becomes hot, almost uncomfortably so. As far as I know, water temperature should be roughly equal at any point so to me this clearly points to a flow issue.

I’ve suspected the pumps, but they seem to run alright in a smaller testloop made from older components. There is a drain port near the bottom, but I don’t think that should give any problems? I’ve later added another port between the top radiator and the gpu to help bleed air/put water in, but this doesn’t really improve matters.

Any ideas? Because I feel like an idiot.

Regards, Tomislav

my guess would be air is trapped in there somewhere, maybe reversing the flow of the loop will help bleed out the system. or if you have the ports on the top rad make a bleeder to let air out.

1 Like

I have no idea how to get it out. The radiator does offer extra ports but those are inaccessible in this case. The closest I can manage is a port directly under it. I already sort of rotated the flow once. Not entirely since this cpu block has a designated inlet and outlet. Should I just swap the tubes at the pumps regardless? Hmmm…

What pump do you have it might be stuggling to flow the liquid through that much

Also If you can make the loop more simple by going CPU to GPU do it, the temps wont be effected that much there isnt a huge difference in water temp in the loop.

Is your pump at full power?

2 Likes

At full power and two of them at that. I ran the same pumps when I had a small 360 on top, 140 to the back and the same monster at the bottom with a different but similar gpu block. However back then it pumped straight into the top rad via a 90° fitting. I doubt I can pull that off this time, what with the radiator now overhanging completely.

I really want to keep the two radiators to keep the fan speed low. Also, a second card block is to be added soon. You mean as a test? I could do that, but I’ve already tested these pumps in a test setup with the old 360 and 140 rads at a height difference, plus an old cpu block. I really feel that they should be able to manage. Am I really asking too much of them?

I would go as simple of a path as possible with the least amount of bends, if you are looking to add a 2nd gpu then you might want to do two loops or at the very least dual pumps @SoulFallen at what point do you generally go dual pump?

I know my DDC had to be at 100% to get good flow in my dual rad cpu/gup block build. It was loud so I went back to my D5 set up (had been a quite a few builds ago I used it) and it seems much better now. (they are much quiet at high flow rate compared to DDC)

Honestly some picture might help

Just noticed you were already Dual DDC you sure both are running?

Also maybe flow some water through each part to make sure no gunk or something is in the loop?

1 Like

I’m assuming that you have tried slowing the pump down and tipping the system. Like, really tipping it. That can free up air that’s trapped where you can’t see it. Sometimes if the pump goes too fast, it can make it harder for air to escape.

2 Likes

@mutation666

Yeah that bottom tube running to the reservoir is awkward, but I’ve tried it reversed and it worked in the past. I flushed the radiators beforehand. Not sure about status of the blocks. Both pumps are running.

@kdb424
I’ve ran them more slowly once I had the system booted up. Can’t access the pwm otherwise. Yeah I’ve tilted it back and forth, sudeways, shaking. Heck I put the thing upside down for good measure.

If you CPU load test do you have the same exp? Maybe bad GPU block mounting? (you loop looks good and I dont think there would be flow issues)

O snap thats a Radeon VII you slather on the TIM? mine Idles at like 30C

Also flow is wrong (you have in on out)

To be honest I’ve not tested the cpu that much. At first glance (and feel) it seems to have the same problem, maybe less pronounced. The card has been remounted three times already, with different TIM and pattern :scream:

Yes that’s my baby VII. Second one is waiting for no particular reason. Yes it runs cool when idle.

Yes I have just read about the order on EK’s website but they say it should matter little. However at this point I might as well try swapping them. Tomorrow.

install bleeder valves in the high spots in the fluid line and use transparent fluid line.
if you cannot out bleeders in the transparent line will at least show you where the bubbles are.
because your fluid is clear you need to install flow indicators to verify that the fluid is actually moving.e
I use intercoolers (fluid radiator submersed in larger tank (old 10 gallon fish tank))
while intercooling may seem like a lot of work it has a very high efficiency level

1 Like

I’ve never had to, I suspect if you had 5 blocks and 4 radiators that’s the point I would consider it.

3 Likes

leave the pump unhooked from the motherboard and it should ramp up to max.

Running slow is not doing you favors to release air if that were to be the problem. I’m not sure why people think this. You need velocity in excess of 2 feet per second to overcome air pushing it vertically down a pipe.

your impeller may not be doing what it’s supposed to. Perhaps it’s not attached to the motor anymore or the motor has failed in some way.

The stupid way to test if the pump is doing as it’s designed is to create a column of tube greater than the length describe as the max head value in the specs. The pump curve will show you this. If you can pump a column of water that high then your pump is fine.

I wouldn’t try that personally though. Pull the pump apart and verify everything looks good before that.

Verify your pumping direction as well. Reversed flow through a block does matter and will change where the pump operates on it’s curve because of increased turbulence.

1 Like

Some pumps like the D5/DDC are SO powerful that it’s easy for them to blow air right through the res and back into the loop if left at max speed.

EDIT: Please let’s not debate this. I am offering other suggestions that have not been tried and want to stay on topic.

1 Like

This is perfectly fine. There will be some air pumped through the system when its first set up anyway. You want the pockets to get moved though. The res acts as a kind of air separator though its not that great at this job but it doesnt matter too much. It will eventually work its way out.

I’m not trying to argue about it, simply stating what I know about water systems, which is how I make my living believe it or not.

If anything I want to help educate on the topic of moving water around. :wink:

3 Likes

good advice isn’t entertaining, help OP catch stuff on fire

3 Likes

Listen here u lil shit

2 Likes

lol don’t worry about it. The “maybe the flow is too strong?!” thing has crossed my mind as a possibility but I have already tested the pumps between min, max and in between. I’m going to see what happens when I omit the top radiator, and switch the gpu block ports while I’m at it.

Nothing has caught fire yet I’m afraid. I had water spouting in my face multiple times though, so there is that. Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Edit: There seems to be a breakthrough. Removing the top radiator had no effect, but removing the cpu block created a vortex worthy of a dual pump configuration. I will have to inspect the block then. Maybe it’s clogged.

judging by your pc you’re using an EK supremacy evo? that’s literally the most restrictive block on the market that difference is to be expected. You can barely slip a dime through the jet plate

I didn’t know that! But as I said, it has given me no problems in the past, so there might be more to it.

I’m actually waiting for a new block but it’s stuck somewhere far away in Chicago. I need to contact Optimus about that.