Watercooled or Aircooled

I see in many threads and as i am also on many forums the same people claiming that watercooled is better than aircooled.
Well lads i have to disapoint those who believe that, in the old days before the massive coolers came into sight with many heatpipes this was true. Today and i am talking about a few years now many aircoolers beat any watercooler in most cases.
Why pretty simple as wendell already suspected the tiny die of the current processors is so darn small it actually only has a small contact surface with the cover which is in most cases not to be openend. On intel cpu’s up to now we can break them open with a delid tool and do a refresh with better paste or in my case liquid metal. However do not even try to open up a AMD because you end up with a dead object, so again NEVER try to delid a AMD cpu.
Back to the all the tests i did with my 15 aircoolers and 8 watercooling sets ranging from 2 fan models to big monsters with 4 x 14 cm fans.
At de end of my testing i ended up in disbelieve my very expenssive large watercooling sets with more than 3 fans ended up being worse than the 2 fan models ( well 2 fans on both sides is more correct { why would i say that {the fact is that they cool a tad bit better} )
So the more nasty result is that i felt kinda screwed all the bigger air fans with more than 4 heatpipes did all a better job and worse is that they also are almost ALL CHEAPER.
You do not have to believe me but actually others started todo the same tests and came to the same conclusions.
My hundreds of euro’s super watercoolers actually suck now, however if you can put them on a very large cpu like for instance a fat xeons they probably still work well. But on the modern small die cpu out they can not get the same results.
Would that make them useless ofcourse not if you want to make a multi gpu setup they still are very usefull, but i would not incluse my cpu anymore in the cirlce of watercooling, simply because it would not make sense to actually spend so much on a waterblock.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Is Liquid Cooling Overrated?