Wasabi Mango UHD400 40" 4k VA

my wasabi turned up .. have not turned it on yet.. the packaging was ok .. not wrapped as well as ive seen others so will see what its like when i fire it up

2 Likes

ok so my findings are..

monitor turned up.. no dead pixels no bleeding that i can see .. freesync enabled out of the box and working fine

3 Likes

Is this monitor capable of outputting 1080p @ 120Hz?

Hi epicwanlink,

Looks very nice, thanks for the freesync test, what's the text clarity like, does the BGR cause any noticable problems at all.
Any other reviews of this one coming?

all text is clear using the quickbrown fox test is really clear no blocking or blur my eyes are not amazing but the 2 last colors on the test look a little just a tad different i think its the magenta color text and a blue color... the text it self is clear just the colors behind that text look strange to my eyes.. i have not calibrated the color so that could well be half the reason ill take a pic of it later to show you what i mean.

1 Like

How about viewing angles, colours and contrast?
From reviewing many different types, the VA seems a very good choice imo, do you find the colours are nice vibrant?

The UHD400 panel is RGB not BGR according to the subpixel test at lagom.nl and the 1:1 pixel mapping test doesn't look like it is stretched.
This is obviously not the same panel as in the phillips with BGR setup and rectangular subpixel layout.
I may just open the back to identify the panel.
As far as I know only that one VA panel used in the phillips has the BGR arrangment and stretched pixel layout.
I don;t know why everyone assumes that all 40" VA panels have those characteristics

3 Likes

Hi Datech, I sent a message to accessorieswhole via ebay asking that very question about the wasabi mango uhd400 4k va and sub pixel layout.

question:
Can you tell me the pixel order with this monitor please i.e. RedGreenBlue, or BGR or?

answer:
The manufacturer told us that the pixel order is Blue - Green - Red.

1 Like

Here's a pic of the subpixel test at lagom.nl

It clearly shows it as RGB.

I don't know if the test is wrong or the info from the ebay seller is wrong but since I don't have any text issues
I would tend to believe it's RGB

1 Like

Thats Brilliant DaTech50, thanks very much for sharing :)

How about Luminance Uniformity, what's this like on the wasabi uhd400? can anyone post any images or test results?

I know Wendell got the UHD420 to output 1080p at 120Hz, can anyone who has this try it?

The UHD420 skipped frames at anything above 60hz. Accepting 120hz is one thing but displaying without skipping frames is what is needed.

1 Like

Oh, Wendell didn't mention that in his video. I would do some gaming (Fallout, CS, GTAV) on this, and thought setting it to 1080p for CS at least would help. Does anyone have experience doing this? How well was it?

Yes, the UHD420 unfortunately skips frames above 60 Hz. Here is Wendell's post from the thread:
https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/42-inch-4k-freesync-for-the-masses-wasabi-mango-uhd420-tek-syndicate/86441/29?u=shoring.fragments
My suspicion is that setting the 420 above 60 Hz would not make a difference in gameplay, but I don't know what the situation with the controller in the UHD400 is.

2 Likes

Thinking of taking the plunge on this, but really wish there was more info or detailed tests. Been searching around for Korean blogs to see if I can find anything.

Edit: I also just realised that this uses a PVA panel instead of MVA which are used on all the other Korean 40" 4k panels and the Philips.

1 Like

Bought this monitor from ebay seller "accessorieswhole".

I ordered Sunday night and it arrived this (Wednesday) afternoon.
Packaging was decent with good foam, no damage.

I have the pixel perfect version, it is pixel perfect and there is no clause in the description about 1-2 allowed dead pixels from the seller...you buy pixel perfect...you get pixel perfect.

Came with both a Korean and US plug, DP and HDMI cable.

Can confirm RGB, screen is 40 inches viewable diagonally.

If I could hazard a guess without taking mine apart I would think this is a PVA panel from Samsung, from their newish tv line.

My reason for thinking this is I owned an AMH 409U and did the banding tests, While I could see banding on that, I see no banding on this.

Zero ghosting, input lag appears to be acceptable to my non delicate eyes.

Outputting at YCbCr444 @ 10 bit color, but I am unsure if this is true 10 bit.

It will ACCEPT 1920x1080 @ 120 hz but I am unsure if it is dropping frames, I do not know how to tell.

Overall I am happy with it, freesync is a bonus.

4 Likes

Thanks for update.
Is the screen reflective? I am also considering buying it, but main purpose would be to use it for work(small fonts, graphic designs and etc.) In your opinion would it be suitable for that? Almost bought AMH a409U v2 but lately I see people getting issues with this monitor and version 1 is not for sale anymore.

1 Like

Thats it, I jumped....Buy now.. done

Thanks for this, seems like a great monitor.