War Thunder currently has a hidden Vulkan renderer preview you can test out (on Linux!)

As the biggest ever FUCK YOU to Wine players enjoying DXVK, Gaijin just added EAC to War Thunder.

Valve, you better move fast with those “talks” because if more things adopt EAC, it’s lights out to Multiplayer Linux Gaming on Proton.

FILE ALL YOUR COMPLAINTS about EAC on War Thunder here:

Though most of this reporting is by @The_Riddick

War Thunder is dead again on Linux until Easy Anti Cheat works on Wine… which is months/years away.

Be calm about it, no need to jump down Gaijin’s or Valve’s throat. EAC for wine is being worked on. There are plenty of other games to play in the meantime.

Yep kinda sucks, means we must now be forced to use the glitchy native vulkan game or put up with native opengl and its horrendous performance.

Also I was using reshade for the steamplay method of playing the game because Gaijin refuses to update their FSAA and Sharpening filters to anything not total trash (TAA is decent with a good sharpener) .

1 Like

Vulkan really works well with my two AMDGPU PCs using the opensource driver.

I think it still has blackscreen issues on NVIDIA, and crashes for some people. Basically its not official.

1 Like

ProtonDB seems to have a fun time misleading people with 1.8x results, because as of 1.91, those are indeed false, as per the report on the Github issue.

If they did however NOT enable EAC to do further bug testing, I’d love to know, because I would be fuming mad that they decided to add it then not enable it.

Wow, they really did temporarily disable EAC because of bugs…

I’m so mad right now. You made us believe it would be active within moments of 1.91 going live, but then you disable it because of crippling bugs, but still have plans indefinitely to re-enable it… This can put people running DXVK + Wine on edge, knowing one day when it’s re-enabled, you’re screwed.

But for now, enjoy War Thunder without EAC and fully Wine compatible.

Actually no… EAC is being rolled out because you can still be denied on login:

It is most definitely region by region as some people are reporting getting through, but some aren’t.

It’s in Valve’s court in Valve Time.

I still have no issues with the linux version using vulkan renderer. But IL-2 had a nice sale…

Non stop crashes here for me if you launch the “Battle of Berlin” benchmark.

This consistently crashes with Vulkan and doesn’t crash with DXVK.

Latest update is that EAC is now mandated. So to play for real, (competitively with good frame rate, no hitching, crashing or stuttering) you can’t anymore on Linux. OpenGL is a mess for competitive matches, and Vulkan is unstable AF.

https://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/460758-easyanticheat/&do=findComment&comment=8334966

If it EVER works, Firejail your entire Wine instance.

A little hope I guess?

followed by

Can someone please test the stability of the Battle of Berlin benchmark if run back to back?

Runs ok.
But they still didn’t fix multiple monitor issue. Starts at 0x0 like always. Fix below if someone needs it:

wmctrl -r "War Thunder (Vulkan, 64bit)" -e '0,1920,0,1920,1080'
wmctrl -r "War Thunder (Vulkan, 64bit)" -b add,fullscreen 

Start game as windowed, then run those two. You will get windowed fullscreen on right monitor.

1 Like

It needs to be stable when loading and unloading large maps, that’s what Battle of Berlin tests.

Well, it loaded, benchmark went trough, game didn’t crash and I didn’t see any graphical glitches. You can see score I posted above.
I’m on Manjaro 20.2 with nvidia 455 driver, and I use 1080p res with fairly low settings.

Edit: I retested Berlin on movie and max settings, got avg. 120fps and no issues with crashing. Also I think its running smoother in vulkan compared to old opengl client.

1 Like

Yeah, previously Battle of Berlin consistently crashed if it was the 2nd benchmark run upon starting the game. Start any other benchmark, then start Battle of Berlin, then keep trying Battle of Berlin to see if you can crash the game.

My reports I have received have it still crashing if returning to the hanger after a match.

Ok, I ran Eastern Front, Seashore, St. Patrick, 5x Battle of Berlin, then I played arcade match, and after match I ran BoB again 2x.
Everything was fine (except my skill :wink: ) and game didn’t crash.

Hmm. Might actually be worth it now…

Just have to get a 5800X to complete my Linux Gaming system, but I’m waiting for that to have better pricing.

Well, I fear for sim battles. I stopped playing during summer because I’ve had random exceptions during some matches in old OpenGL client, when someone was flying close, and it was very much offputting.

But I have TM Warthog incoming (hopefully) soon, so I’m gonna probably try that again.

I runs very fine now on the native client with an AMD Navi and Zen2+. There were some graphical issues when they released the new engine which got fixed very fast. Gameplay is broken as usual but you can’t have everything I guess (IL-2 is pretty good but I need windows for that).