Wanting to know about mxlinux ‘pack in’ kernels

I’m working on tools. I have mx linux on my laptop and I’m looking at how to get some more oomph out of it.

This is my Dell B130, so 686 based, 2gb ram, but has an ssd. So I have some stuff to work with.

As I have been looking at settings I noticed kernel stuff can be changed on the fly. This interests me, especially for my own os. But listed is a 686 single core specific kernel. I am installing it and building it, as well as an antix kernel, now. I’ll see how long it takes to build them lol.

But…. I’m curious. What does this ‘single core specific’ kernel do? A quick google came up with nothing. I’d be interested to know.

Most likely doesn’t build in SMP support. Which saves a fairly small overhead in kernel book-keeping operations.

On SMP (multicore) systems the firmware only initializes core 0, and it’s up to the OS to initialize and use the other cores - to program the interrupts and schedule tasks/programs on them.

1 Like

It also looks like the celeron/pentium M (Dotham core) in those machines isn’t exactly 686 either. While they are 32-bit only, they support SSE2, and most can be forced to use PAE even though they don’t advertise it.

Recompiling the kernel just for the sse2 optimizations may be worth it in itself even if you don’t do a super-aggressive minimal kernel. (64 bit versions are at this level by default, and some distros are talking about bumping the minimum requirements to sse4)

What the actual fuck is wrong with people

But alright I’ll look into compiling by hand.