Wanting To Get Into Retro-Console Gaming. Have Questions!

That’s a pretty decent display.

Thanks man! It’s the only monitor I have for my pc gaming setup. It’s held up really well & I am still in love with it! <3

The Wii U is a normal console with a disc slot, like the Wii, plus a weird tablet controller (2 different pieces of hardware). You’re not the first to get confused by this, though; the Switch is what a lot of people thought the Wii U was supposed to be: a single, standalone tablet console. Other players just get the Wii remotes to play with, reused from the older generation. The new Wii remotes have a better motion sensor built-in but they’re still all cross-compatible iirc.

Sonic fan eh? These games span different console generations, and even console manufacturers. The real classics are Sonic 1, Sonic 2, and Sonic 3, all for the Sega Genesis (16-bit, third console generation, SNES competitor). There are lots of ways to play them—original hardware, PC emulators, the (probably still massively overpriced?) Genesis Mini, or any of the myriad re-releases and ports to other, more modern consoles. They’re all valid choices, but I find that official re-releases tend to stumble with input lag, scaling, video filters. The same goes for the “Mini” plug-and-play console, and original hardware is fussy and expensive.

This is no problem, except possibly for the Gamecube. The Switch, Wii U, and PS3 all have digital outputs. They might not all support 1440p but the gaming monitor should do a decent job with scaling, at least I would hope. The converter boxes aren’t a huge investment, but it’s just not a great experience imo. Especially with deinterlacing.

But, do you own any of these consoles currently? I would start with one, get some games, and see if you like it before investing in so many others.

So to confirm- the Wii U DOES have the slot on the back for Wii disks? According to your response.

Yeah, that’s the Sonic list & I would have already made out the list for the Mario series, but I feel like it will be a bit shorter compared to the Sonic list. Just preference after watching certain playthroughs/walkthroughs on Youtube.

I’m not sure if I will actually go the route of emulating as I’m not fully versed in what all is involved. I currently don’t own any of these consoles, but plan to. BTW, I should have mentioned earlier that I’ll probably choose to play at 1080p instead of 1440p as that would likely be easier to drive. I’m thinking the approach I got from the video I found should be good enough for what I’m wanting, but if I have any other confirmation from any of you guys, that would be a big comfort for me! :slight_smile:

The Wii U is a normal console connected to a screen. The handheld controller with the screen does not work by itself, it needs to be connected to the console.

The idea about the Wii U being the controller only without a console is from Nintendo’s terrible marketing.

The Wii U games run from disk(blu ray based I think), and the slot for the disk also accepts WIi games no problem. The console actually has an entire Wii IOS sandboxed area. It is so similar to a real wii that you can actually use a standard wii exploit and get into the wii area and play wii homebrew on your Wii U.

Most wii U games work fine with wii controller+nunchuk. Then they have the handheld controller with a screen, and finally they have normal controllers that have the same buttons as the controller with the screen.

My bad. I totally forgot about the Wii U having the separate console which is actually for the disks. Guess I’m still learning…