Wanting to do something with this

Hey there everyone i am trying to do something with these parts that is a little different. I am tired of this little case and am not impressed with the temps either. I am also getting a little sag with the video card which worries me. I have had some random artifacting. I was thinking of doing a DIY desk mod with these parts. Anyone have any good ideas? i really want to get rid of this case.

Idle Temp: CPU: 33c GPU 40c
Full Load: CPU: 76c GPU 84c

My parts.
Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Cooler Master Seidon 120M 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
ASRock H97M PRO4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Samsung 850 EVO-Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
VisionTek Radeon R9 390X 8GB Video Card
Corsair Air 240 MicroATX Mid Tower Case
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM (64-bit)
LG 27MP57HT 60Hz 27.0" Monitor
RCA 40in led tv 60Hz

Pics:

why are you using a h97 mobo instead of a z97? you have an unlocked overclock able cpu and water cooling, but are using a mobo that does not allow overclocking.

Yeah... He doesn't need overclock for this thing...
You want to build your PC inside your desk, or something else?
Basically there are some case layouts that allows the flat placement of the motherboard so the GPU doesn't tear the Pci-e slot with it's weight...
Spreading all those parts in a desk will leave the desk half empty and the parts will look like tiny beans in the middle of a huge platter...
You can easily use just part of the desk for this and the rest will be left as empty space, but what the hell...

If i wanted to i can OC this to 4.3 stable without any problems at all. have done it before. just didnt see enough gain to warrant the OC to be permanent.

HAF XB EVO all day

Otherwise good luck with the desk, you 're going to want to build a drawer that can slide in/out and be locked for easy access.

1 Like

My card wont fit in that street.

psycho_666 i was thinking about like a normal wooden desk not like a fancy full open metal one.

Are you sure? because there's a ton of room for it, seems like there'd be enough space.

Otherwise aside from a rack mount case, there's the Core X9 which is a giant cube case

had the core x9 too big for my needs. like the form tho as i want to eliminate the sag of my video card. and yea im sure its about a quart inch too small for the r9 390x

Bit more than 12 inches of available space, what 390X is that?

13.8 inches

Why would they even make a card so big it can't fit into most cases? I suppose though that the cooling on it is solid at least

look at my full load temps above

Are the fans on it just running on low then?

Could always sell it, polaris is coming in june anyways, it seems that's the most limiting factor in your case selection process

I have a very similar build to yours. I have put the two 120 that came with the case in the bottoms and have 2 more 120mm corsair AF fans in the top. I have it running off a cheap nzxt fan splitter that has 7V input to through the molex to make the fans spin slower.
I can run a couple of stress tests to see how similar or different my temps are.
I also have an H55 cooler on my 4690K I also got a 1 ft 2x4 piece and split it in half to raise the case up for better bottom intake.

well i had a thought. but what do you think of linus's idea to mount the components to the bottom of an ikea desk?

Do you want to do something like this, where the build is spread throughout the entire desk, or you want to make something similar to HAF XB, where the build is tight in one spot, but just vertical and placed inside the desk?
Of you want to spread it out, you will need Pci-e extentions And stuff... You will need vibration dampeners etc, if you want to build it yourself... Otherwise you can get an old PC case and use it's motherboard tray as a starting point for the build, since it's going to be basically a standard layout, just flat...
I strongly recommend you equip your desk with thick glass, so you can see inside... Maybe something scratch resistant if you are really into this...

Street: the fans are on stock settings for all, i have the one on the rad and the other front pulling air in and one on top exhausting out. And i cannot sell it as i would have to sell it for what the new card would cost and i would be out a gpu until it drops.

Psycho_666: similar to the haf xb, i dont have the money for the full desk spread. so like get a motherboard tray and cut a hole into a desk. similar to this design i made.

The easiest thing you could do is make rails...
Get any old PC case for may be 10$ second hand and use it's motherboard tray only. Make it slide on the rails, so it's easy to access...
Other just do this:

The motherboard tray is just a couple of chunks of metal...
Still you would need the back panel and everything... So I rather use the old PC case motherboard tray and set it on rails...
For hard drive mounting - rubber dampeners and you are done...

And mount it wherever...
Oh, and get yourself dust filters...

I was thinking of this

for 15$ i dont think its that bad.

1 Like

Oh wow, CaseLabs sells stuff under 75000$...
But yeah, that is basically the idea...
Now you need a few Pci-e slot covers...

And then: