WannaCry Factsheet (continuously updated) and Patches for Legacy Windows

Basically a spiritual successor to Conficker. Yip

1 Like

question: if i've never turned on Windows update on my 7 box, can i just download the patch and run it?

there we go - they patch fast WannaCry 2.0

1 Like

you got may more problems than

Should work - can't promise when your patch level is from 22. Oktober 2009

The name is bad, since WannaCry was already WannaCry 2.0, so this is basically 2.1/3.0
It's got a altered PE bin + removed Kill Switch.

1 Like

Can't blame me, I just copied THN and they have a logo - they have a L - O - G - O :sunglasses: :grin:

i don't want windows 10, and since it seems like a forced upgrade, why would i turn it on?

Honestly most home users should be Ok, provided they don't fall for conventional email exec malware and aren't connected to a large business LAN of some sort.

cheerso. i assume 10 users who have automatic updates on will get it asap? i'm not in country with the 7 box, but my father has W10 and i'm wondering if i need to patch his system manually or not. he's also a home user but opens a lot of emails and such.

Win 10 with auto update should have gotten the patch back in march already. :slight_smile:

1 Like

that's a relief. thanks mate.

I am quite certain that the "we shove 10 down your throat without any way for you" period is over - can't confirm though as the only machine I have had win7 on is my idgaff gaming rig - only games, nothing important on it - so spy on my M$

I'm pretty sure this is exactly the reason most versions of Windows 10 enforces updates, it stops this problem.

2 Likes

Yesterday I set up a clean WIn 7 VM for WannaCrypt0r testing. It wanted to auto-update to 10 still...

Dios mio - well they do have a somewhat valid reason ... tbh. But I would want to meet and give a warm welcoming hug to the people inside M$ that descided they have to spy the fuck out of everyone and loose the last users trust;

I actually think a China win 10 version would be the best one to have ^^

I cant even get windows 7 to update from a fresh install (takes 4 days tying). Never had it want to update to windows 10 either, that free upgrade had been and gone. what version are you using to get this?

it makes logical sense, but the fact that i don't want that upgrade is why it's off. anyway, won't turn this into yet another Windows 10 bash.

Windows 7 Ultimate/Professional I think.
Not SP1, just the original version. Once you installed the 'windows update' - update and a few more small recent updates it wants to restart and you're presented with a Blue Windows 10 update screen.

I should try and get a screenshot of that.

Despite Microsoft's best efforts, not everyone's W10 patches are up to date. My primary workstation dual boots W10 and Solus. The trouble is, I haven't booted into W10, since playing games over the Christmas holiday.

This worm seems to be spreading exponentially, so I'm inclined to manually update my workstation while it's off line. Downloading the files with a Linux machine is easy enough, except that I am having trouble making sense of Microsoft's bulletin and file "organization" on their site. As near as I can determine, for a x64 system I need to install Windows10.0-KB4012606-x64.msu and then depending on my build number, I need to install either Windows10.0-KB4013198-x64.msu, or Windows10.0-KB4013429-x64.msu.

Do I have this the right way around? Can anyone confirm, or deny this?

Thanks!

Yip. Install it, if it doesn't complain install the others too :smiley: