W3C rejects appeal, approves DRM standard, votes kept secret

these days its more about whether the other browsers are doing, and the standards seem like they “standardise” things after the fact, or in the case of WHATWG, they aren’t even standards at all, just State of the Browsers documents.

So I suspect browsers are happily willing to be non-standard… just not for EME. Besides, haven’t Amazon video and other sites already been using EME CDMs? Firefox has had a DRM checkbox for quite a while now.

Fork your browser of choice now. Don’t support businesses that use this technology.

with the way things are heading, that’s not happening. few people will quit going there, masses won’t care ad long as they get their newest episodes of medieval dragons land

The masses are already stealing their episodes of magic dragons, so some of them might come to care.

To be pedantic, those who get their newest episodes (from, say, a certain pirate ship) will be fine. Those who want to be legal and need to watch them from someone else’s machine, will be the ones using EME’s CDMs. Poor amazonians and netflixcians.

You could also wait for the Bluray media key to be discovered, and watch with VLC then.

There’s no real way to escape this kind of DRM now. An estimated, 7 Billion devices are using Google’s Widevine DRM. and the majority of hardware/chipset vendors have supported Widevine since 2013 - It’s already baked into your TV’s Bluray players, Set top Boxes, Video Cards, Motherboards and Monitors.

Want to start a video streaming service 2017?
You have to buy a license from Google to use Widevine first.

If you are streaming hollywood content from big companies, yes; hopefully other content will stay off of it.

Although it will be funny when said companies/MPAA realise that they are now beholden to a DRM monopoly. Serves them right.

Holy crap!

8 Likes

There is never enough popcorn it seems…

2 Likes

We will be able to tell the children stories, you know back when the internet was Free…

Then they’ll ask if “Free” means monthly or yearly subscription fees.

2 Likes

so ? A complete disregard of this standard is in order. No legal standing :slight_smile: Just a rich man club trying to force feed people something they do not want or need.

I’d rather not tell any would be kids any stories about how crap some things have got. Luckily I won’t have to worry, as the odds of me even having kids are stacked against me.

Time to DDoS W3C I guess.

There will soon be mass uprisings.

What a time to be alive.

All of you can start by getting rid off your android and iOS phones and help this campaign to succeed.
https://puri.sm/shop/librem-5/

2 Likes
3 Likes

Now that is a bit surprising. Something to follow.

I really respect that decision. I really hope sth comes out of this…But i really do not expect much. It will be just one person in the middle of a consortium that does not give a damn. I hope i am wrong…

As a member he might get access to docs and be able to clear things up. I see this as publicly going undercover.

he still might be bound under some kind of NDA if he does join preventing him from even speaking about the news concerning the W3C