VW cheating on diesel emission

Yes i agree, the older Tdi engines were realy reliable and robust.
since they got forced to jump the commonrail train, allot went wrong for them.
Their commonrail engines arent bad, but simply not as reliable anymore.

i do see where this is going, and its not realy good for anyone i guess.
I´m currious about Fiat, Mercedes Benz, and PSA, if these Diesel manufacturers also getting investigated.

yep Ouch

My father is a former mechanic, and if even half the things he says are true, I wouldn't be surprised if just about all the car manufacturers out there are pulling some sort of funny business with emissions. I remember him saying that there was a "recall" for some car that involved reflashing the ECU for "safety". Turns out all it really did was gimp the performance and reduced emission levels. He said that some of the cars that had the reflash done ended up idling weird or otherwise had moderate performance issues after that.

3 Likes

Don't remind me please.....

I find it funny that more people seem to care about this emissions shit than GM killing how many people over the past decade because of their faulty ignitions.

3 Likes

THIS. Gm is full of shit...

2 Likes

Corporate Seppuku.
I have owned 4 VW's. 1968 Beetle, 1977 Scirocco, 1985 GTI, 1999 Jetta.
All gas powered. All loved.
I love VWs but they really screwed up this time. This is some almost NAZI level heinousness.

The software hack is confirmed worldwide 11 million cars.
In the US fines could be $18 billion against VW's $4.7 billion profit last year.
That's not counting International fines and the cost to repair vehicles.
VW stock tanked 25% in one day.

I agree with DerKrieger,,, VW is not the only company with emission problems, Caterpillar charged with defective truck engine exhaust emission system,

"These engines were designed with CAT's ACERT (Advanced Combustion Emissions Reduction Technology) systems to meet tougher emission systems implemented by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). ACERT works by using a series of turbochargers to force cool, clean air into a combustion chamber, which would then regenerate, lowering oxides of nitrogen and increasing fuel economy. The lawsuit alleges that while the design was marketed as a reliable, durable and fuel-efficient system, the engines are, in fact, defective and have been marketed and distributed under false pretenses. "

9 years ago I worked for a company that sold 4 out of 5 makes of garbage trucks in western canada,, i talked to a lot of engineers and they said " soon big truck emissions have to cleaner than the air in LA going into the engine"

funny part is we still use Leaded Aviation Gasoline even tho Tetraethyllead is banned,
dont forget we have to get rid of cows because they make to much Methane gas...

its getting stupid,,,,

The Car industry is allready in bad weather for the last couple of years.
Cheating on emission is definitely not a good thing, its not fair against other car manufacturers.
But the question is, are those other manufacturers getting investigated aswell or not?

And what is this going to mean, for current owners of a TDi with that particular software in it.
Its of course obvious that people buy low emission cars to save on tax.
But if it turns out that VAG has cheated with this, and that the real emission is way higher, then what is this going to mean for them as a company aswell?

They might loose allot of faith.

is other manufacturers getting investigated aswell or not? probably not

"Its of course obvious that people buy low emission cars to save on tax." I dont know how europe works, In British Columbia we try to buy cars, trucks old or new that get the best mileage and "HP, torque" because our fuel has double GST tax plus carbon tax.

"Cheating on emission is definitely not a good thing, its not fair against other car manufacturers." They all try to cheat, it was just unlucky for VW... this time

i found this that someone posted on a website, and he's quite right

"People are saying they bought a diesel to imporve the environment? Hahahahahahha. That's nonsense. Diesels ARE stinkier, and dirtier than gasoline engines becaue the fuel is from "heavier" crude. No mistake, a diesel will never be as clean as a gasoline engine.

But diesel fuel also contains much more energy per litre than gasoline, and a diesel engine is more efficient than a gasoline engine. That's why diesels get much better mileage than gasoline cars.

The "cheat" that VW used was a BENEFIT to owners, because it makes the engines more reliable, more powerful and responsive, but at the expense of being not quite as "clean".

If I had one of the affected models (might have one) there is NO WAY I'd want the "updated" softare. It will make the car run like c**p, less power and poor reliablility becasue it will make the engine run hotter to burn off more particulates.

This is one case where an update is much worse. "

True but it really only affects the US. My understanding is that diesel cars in Europe still meet the emissions requirements even without it so it doesn't really matter except maybe for road tax in certain countries.

In the US the emissions requirements are ridiculous. They are something like 1/10th of what the Europeans allow for NOX the stuff that is the issue here. We also aren't taxed on emissions so it doesn't matter. I somehow doubt that the 2.0L TDI in my Dad's Jetta is putting out less pollutants than a 5.9L Cummins or 6.7 Powerstroke in a RAM or F350. Ohh wait those are trucks so it doesn't matter. Because that makes sense.

Was wondering why many of the small VWs don't have urea injection where as most small diesel BMWs and Mercs do.

1 Like
1 Like

This isn't the first time they've done this and I am sure this won't be the last.

VW CEO resigns after Emission cheating scandal.

This looks seriously bad.

The UK doesn't test for NoX like we do in the states so the software has to lie about Co2 for it to matter in your country. Passing Co2 emissions test is a walk in the park compared to what we have in California.

That was expected. He took over as CEO last april so the damage had been done long before he got involved. He'll likely get a very nice severance package and move on.

fairly certain volkswagon will be the tip of the iceberg

its common practice for car manufacturers to fudge their mpg tests by doing dodgy stuff like

• removing seats
  • making sure air con is switched off
  • having just enough fuel in the tank to travel the distance of the test to avoid carrying extra weight

list goes on

Might not mean recalls, could mean a simple software patch. Maybe you could go into a "Authorized Volkswagen Fix My Violation of Federal Law Center" and they could just fix it on a software level. Still would suck for VW but would mean they didn't have to recall.

The US car industry is not welcoming to non-US manufacturers, that's not new, it'll never change.

All of this is just another one of those corporate thingies that shouldn't matter; back when Luc Donckerwolcke quit the VW group after all those years in June 2015, I was expecting something really bad from VAG.

VAG needs to reinvent itself, not because of the emission scandal, but because in Germany itself, they are not delivering what people expect them to deliver: no cars are being made in Germany any more... if you order an expensive Audi R8, you get an engine made in Hungary, parts of the chassis made in Romania, etc... might as well buy a Dacia then... there is no added value any more, at present the "premium brand" in VAG is Skoda, at least those are made in Chechia... VAG needs to become German again...

Now that's what VAG needs, but what will actually happen is that they will fire most of the remaining staff working in Germany, and that they will outflag almost their entire operation to countries with cheaper labour?

Why? Because they are a big corporation, therefore super stupid... Fiat has already outflagged, VAG will do something similar. The big European VW/Audi settlements in Germany, Belgium, etc... will see restructuring, people will be unhappy, they will buy something else... what will they buy... Hyundai and Kia, both of which have invested in making European cars in Europe by Europeans for Europeans... there is more German car design in a Hyundai for the European market than there is in a BMW or Mercedes or VW or Audi, and the same goes for Toyota, which also designs it's European cars in Bavaria and Belgium, and makes them all over Europe... oh wait, Kia and Hyundai... that's where Luc Donckerwolcke now is... lolz...