VR, AR and now Mixed Reality

VR, basically 2 small monitors for each eyeball.
AR, Pokemon Go
Mixed Reality, like augmented reality but easier to spell :slight_smile:
M$ is set to jump into the fray

IMHO
With development times for games at 4 years and very expensive this will lead to changes in how games are written. What is designed to be fun with a headset may be boring on a static screen and visa versa.

When Id Software developed the Doom came engine and sold it to anyone with 50k it lead to an explosion of PC game development. Feel free to post your thoughts, predictions, articles and outright speculations :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So what is mixed reality and how is it different from augmented reality?

VR is pretty cool, but a couple of roadblocks that make it the next coming everyone thought it might be:
Expensive,
Makes you sick.

The last one is difficult to get past, it somewhat limits the style of games that can be played comfortably. There a couple of great games that don’t make you sick. Lone Echo was amazing, played it for hours at a time!

It has been taking ages for games to come out because of the R&D that has to be done to make it a comfortable experience, I guess.

1 Like

IMHO mixed reality is AR with an M$ patent not so free of charge :slight_smile:

Hmm yeah augmented reality a bit too narrow in scope. It implies only augmented what already exists, not neccesarily adding new stuff from other realities. Or something.

You drive trucks right? Wonder if you could put on a mixed reality headset and turn your drive into a game! Something like clustertruck, or even road rash.

Mixed reality is the future, it can do VR and also ‘project’ virtual objects in to the real world. It has applications not just for gaming but for productivity too.

There are a whole bunch of things they need to improve but even the current VR stuff with all its flaws is awesome.

2 Likes

Yeah totally, it is suprisingly immersive. The headtracking takes it to a new level.

Yea but a cop might frown upon it :slight_smile:
Could have practical applications like showing deer or using auto based IOT (interenet of things) to alert other drivers of a breakdown so if someone needs to change a tire close to the white line other drivers get a heads-up before you come around a corner at 70 and uh oh!

1 Like

Before I got an oculus I thought the idea of a virtual monitor was dumb, things like virtual desktop and big screen and all that. But having actually used them I’m convinced that it would be amazing to have a mixed reality headset so I could have a massive virtual multi monitor set up and also be able to see the real world (keyboard and mouse, phone, etc).

1 Like

What tools do you use for this? I tried the virtual desktop thing and found it a bit blurry to use. My eyesight is not amazing, and I am still working on 3d printing a frame to hold prescription lenses in the headset. Get some fogging issues also!

1 Like

Yeah I guess this is already happening in some fashion, some cars have infrared cameras looking for critters on the road and alert you. Self driving cars will probably take over before this really becomes a thing methinks.

1 Like

I’m not sure there is anything that does it, just saying that I think it would be great. Resolution is a big problem with current HMDs as well as the lenses (fogging, not enough field of view, ringing and glare etc.) I only use virtual desktop for watching 3D movies but if the resolution was better I’d use it for everything.

Not sure if this is something they’re working on but I think a good sollution to the resolution problem would be to use a very high resolution display but render with a variable resolution where the center of the imagine is high resolution and there is less resolution going out from the center, then use eye tracking to adjust the center to where the user is looking. This would mimic the way the human eye works so as far as the user is concerned they’re seeing a high resolution imagine but it’s relatively easy for the computer to draw.

The hardware is the future. VR or AR.

I’m afraid the future is going to be terrible with big money forcing software as a service into the hardware.
For instance AR is going to be a huge shitshow of forcing ads on everything you look at.
AdSense will die as M$/fb require eye tracking in ar headsets.

1 Like