VPN service to use on router

Salutations, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a good vpn service that you can use with pf-sense like Virtual internet access, I already pay for Virtual internet access but, I'm having issues connecting to games like hearthstone through virtual internet access and that is a problem for me. I already looked at the new vpn (Hostwinds) that Logan/Wendel advertised on the latest episode of "The Tek" but, when I asked the rep if it could be used through PF-Sense they said they did not have that information. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

~Shimbou

Pretty much any vpn which uses openvpn can be used on pfsense. If your service doesn't have a guide for setting it up then look for a guide from another service and try adapting it to your service.

I can help you set it up if you like, I've tried several VPNs on my pfsense box so I have a pretty good idea of how to get it working.

Do you happen to have any suggestions for some other VPN's I can take a look at (Aside from PIA of course)?

I use torguard, I've been pretty happy with them. I've also heard good things about purevpn. I've tried PIA and I've also tried vyper, which I wouldn't recommend. I can't remember the names of the other ones I've tried, which would indicate that they weren't very good :P

haha, would seem like a pretty good indication for that assumption. I'll take a look at it. Bah, dropped the money on a year subscription of PIA and now it's having issues connecting to games, what a waste but, whatever.

It's possible that the game servers won't accept connections from VPNs. In pfsense you can create firewall rules to send traffic to a certain gateway based on the port or IP address. So you could configure it so that games will use your regular internet connection and everything else will use the VPN, all you'd need is the ports or IP of the game server. Or you could have just web traffic encrypted and everything else normal, whatever works for you.

Well, its possible I was on a netgear router until December swapped it out because it was dropping the dns communication with my isp and as I recall I wasn't having connection issues. But, at the moment I'm using my old linksys g router haven't really set it up aside from access security, been waiting since, I'm going to be swapping to pf-sense on friends old computer she trading me for one of my spare computer parts. It's an old six-core amd Athlon processor I forget the specific name of it should be more than powerful enough to run network shaping, anti-virus, firewall, and vpn. Might have to buy more ram for it but, cross that bridge when I come to it.

By which, I mean connection issues while on the vpn.

toto vpn

Yeah, I mean that the game servers might be blocking traffic coming from VPNs, or the IP your VPN has given you has been blocked because of abuse or whatever. It could be something else, I'm just saying that that is a possibility.

What I was saying about pfsesne is that it allows you to select which traffic goes through the VPN, so you can have some traffic on the VPN and other traffic (like your game traffic) use the normal internet connection, thus avoiding problems with not being able to connect to games if it is the VPN which is causing the connection issues.

Do you happen to know what the speed 20 vs unlimited speed is? I'm assuming you get the unlimited if your connection speed is over 20mbs.