Vox/The Verge going on a copyright strike abuse spree

Does that still work when the original video was deleted before the takedown notice on Kyle’s video happened?

I mean it should just because they remove it doesn’t remove their right to ownership.

Not selling / distributing something doesn’t remove your rights

Yeah… it is.

Here is where thing get even tricker with the internet. What is fair use in the USA may not be consider so in like the UK.

I can give you a real example of this using Judge Dredd: The Cursed Earth arc/saga.

For many decades in the UK Judge Dredd: The Cursed Earth saga when it was reprinted had to remove a section refereed to as the Burger Wars. Extreme satire of Burger King gangs versus McDonalds, also the Green Gaint. Since 2000 AD is UK based even when they reprinted it in the USA, they left out the Burger Wars.

Then recently the UK changed the Satire rules for Fair Use and as a result 2000 AD was able to publish the complete Judge Dredd The Cursed Earth. 2000 AD aptly named it Judge Dredd The Cursed Earth.

As for what the Verge did to Kyle… well, I’m not a lawyer and I haven’t looked into the issue.

Youtube is really weird with fair use and in a way Youtube being a private company makes the case a little more complicated.

TLDR: We’d need a copyright lawyer to access the case properly.

5 Likes

Well, that merge slightly messed with the post time order…

People are lovely.

Going off what you said earlier, it looks like larger companies do have more direct contact with YouTube employees, @MCVET.

2 Likes

I would imagine so. The cooperation between them has the potential to bring in a ton of money.
I don’t support death threats and think people just blatantly giving death threats around should be severly punished.

1 Like

Well given that Nilay is a lawyer, that dude is going in for a serious justice.

"Hurr, iz a jokz. I kid, I kid. im juz a kid ;_;"

2 Likes

I should expect nothing less.

“If you can’t walk the walk, don’t talk the talk. Cuff 'em!”
Death threats over the internet stopped being funny when people actually started attacking and Swatting each other.

And in rare cases, one getting killed. In one case, it was an innocent man killed by a trigger happy cop because of kids who think they’re l33t swatters.

1 Like

Exactly.

Poor Nilay :frowning:

Must suck to be be an idiot and not be able to say sorry my bad.

1 Like

Gosh that many drama for just a strike.

Come on… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Nilay Patel is going to drama his way out of this hole :slight_smile: He may have missed his calling acting ?

1 Like

It is more about the double standard. On the one side is the Verge saying “mimimi, copyright claim abuse”, on the other side is the Verge abusing it.

Thats yet to be seen i guess.
i can remember something similar happened with Nintendo.

Its never getting to a judge as its been dropped by Youtube inself. It is US THE UNWASHED mass’s :slight_smile: that will Judge now :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Probably (hopefully) won’t make a massive difference to anything.

I’m going to listen to yesterday’s Vergecast in a bit and see if it comes up at all.

The amazing win in all this is the verge driving huge traffic to their site.

Genius, almost like it was intentional…

They actually did. They had no right to take down Kyles video as it was covered under fair use.

The result of that case might not be considered relevant because it pertained to copyrighted music used in a video, no?

AFAIK, the law says something like “use of copyrighted material is allowed as long as a significant value is added”

1 Like