Vox/The Verge going on a copyright strike abuse spree

Lyle was a parody, if Lyle was racist 50% of Chappelle show would have to be pulled for racism.

3 Likes

And even then it would be fair use (?) as “Lyle” added a lot of value to the original video.

3 Likes

and boondocks

2 Likes

you mean like how vox reached out directly to people asking them to take it down… before striking them???

This is all pretty disappointing, especially since I had retracted the strikes and none of the people involved thought it important to simply ask me about it.

3 Likes

Double Standards much? I mean vox

1 Like

I think it’s interesting they are bringing up racism… again. It’s like one of their goto when the going gets tough.

3 Likes

At the rate people are crying racism (=wolf), it will be a null word used in shouting matches by 3rd graders…

3 Likes

Agreed… and its a shame because there is plenty of real racism out there. As an example, In South Carolina 3 years of police forfeitures was just reported on… and 65% of the forfeitures were from black men, who make up 13% of the population. That’s real racism… not a bunch of people disliking your shitty video or a parody video with a “Chinese” man trashing your shitty video.

1 Like

we are probably already there.

1 Like

Its the new “ur mom.”

1 Like

Gawd yes! IIRC Sixty Minutes reported on police committing highway robbery civil forfeiture decades ago and nothing has been done about it. A lawyer I follow did some videos about how scummy it is, and those get some comments, but when talks about having to show your receipt before you leave a store then everyone goes absolutely nuts in the comments section.

Humans aren’t just bad at statistics, sometimes we have absolutely no sense of scale.

lel, this is all written by me. So everyone can thank me later.

Hey all, I’ve moved the discussion from the other thread to the new one I created, since it is a developing story at the moment, and a huge debate on DMCA abuse.

1 Like

I emailed this to be a excellent addition to the EFF’s Takedown Hall of Shame:

1 Like

There are rumours, and I think I have seen one tech Youtuber, that Vox may have DMCA’d more users, but I haven’t seen any actual reports yet.

HEY! That’s racist! Lyle is Taiwanese!

And on a side not to that not totally inacuartely either as he is part Taiwanese I believe, I could be totally wrong, and just plays what he actually sees of his culture when dropped in the U.S. this is all so amazing.

Linus also did the WAN show about this yesterday. He explains eloquently how things supposedly went down. I’d recommend taking a listen.

Now, to this obvious shitstain…This is my reaction to what I heard and read from other sources. I have no definitive knowledge of the whole situation. These are my assumptions.

I want to address a situation around some YouTube copyright strikes (since retracted)

retracted because Youtube reviewed and deemed it unfit.

reactions to a PC build video we had made several months ago which I determined did not meet our standards and had pulled from YouTube.

Maybe you should’ve determined that before the damn video went live and after 4 or 5 days without ever responding to any of the feedback from viewers or direct contact (Linus) from other tech youtubers.

racist character

did they assume Kyle’s race and origin? Because he is half Asian.

YouTube notified the two channels in question, said there was a chance our request wouldn’t make it through, and asked our legal team for their case. Our team made the case, YouTube agreed the videos were not fair use , and issued the strikes.

Youtube has an automated system. Literally no one at Youtube reviews this, until it’s pointed out by a public outcry or a complaint from the receiver. Are you sure your legal team is qualified to do the job they’re supposedly doing? Maybe double check.

I told them that although I fully agreed with their legal argument, I did not think we should use copyright strikes against legitimate channels even if we thought the videos crossed the line.

Well, aren’t you just a ray of sunshine.

(And again, I fully agree with our legal team that these videos crossed the line of fair use.)
At my direction , the strikes were retracted.

Again, after Youtube reached out and told him that it wasn’t a valid claim. Funny how convenient it is to leave stuff out, isn’t it.

Again, the strikes were retracted at my specific instruction, not through any YouTube dispute process. The Verge has written many times about the problems with YouTube’s copyright enforcement mechanism, and I do not think it works well enough for us to use it in cases like this.

Shining quite a spotlight on yourself, there, bud.

One thing I did not do was tweet about it, because I didn’t think the nuance of this situation would lend itself to tweets.

One thing that works wonders for a company that does a mistake is a simple: “We’re looking into the matter at this time and will come back with a response after everything has been resolved. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and for your patience.”
Not that hard and it calms the rational masses.

And also quite honestly because I didn’t think it was a big deal. There were strikes, and the strikes were retracted. I assumed everyone would move on.

Not a big deal for you, because you’re running a huge media company but a guy’s job is on the line. Because of this he’s unable to do his job and his credibility is hindered for the Youtube’s infamous defective algorithms.

I did, however, respond to every single person who reached out to me directly. I know it’s everyone because only three people actually did that.

You, a CEO of a huge media company would take time to respond to concerns of individuals not related to the issue if there wasn’t an outcry? Please. Either I’m wrong about you and you’re a super nice guy, or you just keep mentioning it so I think you’re a super nice guy.

This is all pretty disappointing, especially since I had retracted the strikes and none of the people involved thought it important to simply ask me about it. I hope everyone involved can take a moment and think about making sure they actually know what they think they know, and the value of communicating directly instead of simply reacting.

Again, and for the last time: after the responsible ones on Youtube requested you retract, you did. Don’t paint yourself a saint for being ignorant of your companies actions. Actions that may have serious repercussions for certain individuals.
Maybe you should reign in the autonomy of your department managers and take a look at what they’re doing from time to time. Who knows, they might even improve the quality of content they output.

Pretentious, is what this guy is.

And this is why we need to move off yt. Idc how.

One might think Vox’s lawyers are as good as The Verge’s PC building.

Im glad it is sorted but the PR is a mess for the Verge all over again.

1 Like

3ish days