Voltage for brief benchmarking

Recently I’ve found that I can push my chip pretty high in frequency if I up the voltage past what is recommended (1.42v for first gen ryzen). When pushing to 1.45+ volts for short periods of time, how much does this negatively affect the chip? Purely for short periods, not long term. I run at 3.2Ghz for long term use. Also, I figure that temperature has a large affect on this as well. 1.5v at 80+ degrees is going to be worse than something lower at the same voltage assuming you can cool it.

Keep going until it dies?

If your motherboard is good and doesn’t overcompensate for trace losses by upping voltage too high above what your cpu can handle or above what’s configured, it’s all fine. (ie. if it can react quickly enough). It’s also less of an issue with more modern CPUs, and modern motherboards all have similar vrm design and just differ in power circuitry mcu programming, which is good and safe.

On a microscopic level in the silicon there’s material transfer going on all the time and higher voltages and temperatures make it worse… but in practice nobody cares because there’s other components to worry about and it’s often impractical (a faster cpu is cheaper usually).

You can probably run in overclocked overvolted above average 80c temperature state for at least a year before componentry starts to give out and it’ll be non-silicon based componentry first - various solder contact points, capacitors and coils will go first.

Once your motherboard power circuitry starts to go wonky you need to be a lot more careful with what you configure as voltages - it may not be what you get.