Volta just annouced tonight!

I 100% agree with this…

But it’s also interesting that Level1 has never done something with PC Perspective, for which their offices are really close to where Level1 is based out of.

Steve, @wendell and Ryan Shrout would be the best trio the computing tech news industry has seen in a long time.

2 Likes

Meh, that’s with settings turned down. At max settings, I bet the game uses tons of FP64 compute. This card has tons of FP64 compute.

I look forward to seeing how the final game runs.

Titan is fully prosumer now. Cool. Finally they stripped GeForce off the cooler and returned the FP64 compute that Maxwell and Pascal Titans missed.

1 Like

This card wouldn’t make a difference in SC. The live universe FPS is limited by server performance. I’m in the first wave of PTU testers for latest build. My 1080Ti rarely ever goes 50% utilization even when on the rare occasions when I’m on a mostly empty server and can hit 60 FPS.

I’m really disappointed in nvidia if thats really meant to be a science card and they aren’t advertising it as such.

Its good that they are releasing volta [fucking finally] to the general public but… I mean come on, did they have to make it look like every other gamerBS card they shovel out? How the hell is that thing going to keep cool?

They would make a great trio! However, PCPER, has business ties with, TWiT. Pretty sure the fat cats would want a piece of GN and L1 to let that happen

lol they could always just drop the price.

So? This Week in Computer Hardware with Steve, Ryan, Wendell and Patrick would kick ass. It’ll be something actually worth watching on TWiT!

Wendell on “This Week in Enterprise Tech” and “FLOSS Weekly” would be great too.

I thought maybe it was just direct reuse of the 1080ti cooler painted gold, which would be fine in my eyes for some reason. Using old stock or not having to design and tool a new shape one, being economical and scraping every last penny.

But no they are advertising it as part of the design points on the card, it is vapour chamber and copper heatsink which is pretty nice, better than copper heatpipes and ALU fins. So they had to design new coolers any way, so why go with the same batmobile shape kids toy cooler and make it gaudy gold on purpose instead of designing an all performance orientated cooler. Form over function, and if your aim is AI you don’t care about looks you will likely never see the cards any way. Not like on a gamers PC where looks help sell cards. That is pretty stupid.

Fairly sure the reference 1080 Ti and current Titan X lineup all use the vapor chamber cooler as well. They just reused those it seems.

Also people Are gonna buy it regardless. The cooler doesn’t matter so they can save a few bucks and just put a shitty one on it. Besides it cools adequately just is loud which isn’t really a big issue for the demographic buying this

2 Likes

Okay then it fulflis my first idea then and that fine. Save the cash if you all ready have it and it works. Like you say they don’t care about the noise. If it does the work then that’s fine, just a little odd looking for the use case.

Probably because it also is a bit of a Halo product. Got to look good too

2 Likes

Except you goatrope idiot gamers to dump money on the wrong product because they don’t know any better when a Vega 128 or whatever the next *70 card is.

You mean like the best “stock” cooler ever?

5 Likes

At least they were smart enough to leave the GTX of this one.

The last ones could game even though some of them were better off as sim, ai, workstation cards.

I’m dreading that Jim’s correct on this one. Really the one time I want him to be wrong, both as an AMD/Radeon owner and just a plain old consumer.

Finally, a single card to run 8k. So over buying multiple GPUs.

2 Likes

One card to run other titles at 8K = one card to run Star Citizen at all.