VoIP and Linux

So I’m looking to use VoIP, for handling overseas calls

I know of magicjack being a source + the hardware attachment [my folks have used it for a rather long while]. In recent quick rummaging, Linux doesn’t appear to have native support for Magicjack [to this day?!]. Does anyone know of a good workaround [alternate software interface], or a brute hotwiring means to making it work?

TIA

Every business I know that needed VoIP and was ok with SIP (just voice, no video) used Asterisk PBX. Apparently not very easy to configure, but with some head banging against the wall, it can be done. Never configured it personally, just looked through the configurations a little. You can add SIP Phones to your network, or you can get passed the physical hardware and use a Software SIP Phone (like MicroSIP for Windows, it is fantastic, or Linphone which is cross-platform).

Otherwise, if you want more of a skype or something experience (conference software), there’s basically nothing else like Jitsi out there.

Both Jitsi and SIP have their uses. SIP is more enterprise-y, you can even do IVRs and let people press buttons, just like a customer support line, but you can just use it as a phone line. It uses way less bandwidth, since you don’t have video, obviously. Just don’t configure it on the open internet, use a VPN between the two sites you want to make calls between. I would argue to do the same for Jitsi as well.

Neither of them use landline however. There are ways to route to landline (to multiple landlines and cost-balance depending on the destination!) on the Asterisk server however, so you could make a phone call from your laptop using your prefer headsets. Again, 2 software for different use cases.

Not sure where the issue is, aren’t your VoIP and workstation separate and discrete systems?

That being said, check out Ooma

If you wanted help using your magicjack on Linux, that should have been in your title.

If you want want to use traditional analog phones for overseas calls, a 2-port ATA costs less than $40 and can connect to any standard VoIP/SIP service.
For a more complete solution, an Obihai OBi200 costs $50 and works with your Google Voice account.

1 Like

This. Sometimes it is actually is worth spending a little money to make your life easier. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.