VMware and FreeNAS

Hello fellow techies,
I was wondering if can be possible to set up a NAS with VMware to share a virtual hard drive. I'm not interested into spend money for a proper machine since it will be used not that often and would only be a temporary personal cloud, like Dropbox for example. Also this solution can be integrated with iSCSI? I'm a total newbie when it comes to networking and freeNAS so please if you feel like answering me be as detailed as possible, thanks a lot (:

FreeNAS will run in a VM, but you lose most of the advantages that FreeNAS has over any other OS in doing so. See this thread on the FreeNAS forum for details.

That being said, running in a VM is a good way to test it out. Just don't depend on it for real-world use.

1 Like

Thanks for the answer. I've read through some posts of the thread and it's really interesting. But still I'm wondering if I cannot use this solution. I would use this VM not that often and the data stored on it would be just copies of data I already safely backuped elsewere. I could use the drive share on my Netgear D6200 but I've been reading online about the vulnerability on the port Netgear has dedicated to drive share so I'm really concerned about this solution. Also I think a modem/router is a lot less safe than a PC so I'll be kind worried of being attacked, even if the data I'll have there would not be important. Any other idea on how to have a NAS accessible from outside and inside of the network without relying on other services or spend money?

There are a few solutions for getting access outside your network:

1. If you want a CIFS or NFS share, you will have to set up a VPN server and connect to your network over VPN before mounting the share.
  2. You could use FTP or SFTP, and forward a port on your router.
  3. You could set up something like ownCloud. This is my preferred solution.
1 Like

I'll look forward to the solutions you gave me, thanks.

I wouldn't use freenas for this. I'd install Linux (any distro you want but I'd use something headless like Ubuntu server) and set up owncloud.