VM + Parsec friend server?

Hey all,

So I’m trying to spec out parts to build a dedicated VM server which I also want two VMs to be Windows 10 VMs with separate GPUs passed through to them for friends to play games on via Parsec.

I already have a FreeNas server, but this new one I plan to run Proxmox on. I already have:

• Rosewill 15 bay Server Case

• 850W Power Supply

I have this sitting from when I upgraded my FreeNas server to a 24 bay chassis.

I’d like to go AMD this time though as I’d rather not fire up an old Xeon server, take advantage of newer tech with lower power requirements, etc. Plus, I like the fact that the system still has some room for upgrade when Zen 3 hits.

Here’s what I’m looking at currently:

• Motherboard: ASRock X570 TAICHI AM4

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x (or temporarily my Ryzen 2600 since I have that lying around as well)

• Storage: Western Digital Red SA500 2.5" 500GB SSD (x4 of them in RAID10, so 1TB usable)

• TC-SUNBOW M.2 SSD 120GB (x2 in RAID1 for Proxmox install)
  • RAM: Crucial 16GB 288-Pin DDR4 VLP UDIMM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) ECC Unbuffered (x2…I want to also run ZFS. So starting with 32GB Ram)

• GPU:

• (Eventually) GTX 1080 (this is in my current gaming PC. Waiting for 3000 series to come out and then this GPU will go in the Server.)

• ZOTAC GeForce GT 710 (for second gaming VM. Mainly for low spec games and classics if anything).

• NIC: DELL X520-DA2 Ethernet Server Adapter 10Gbps Dual Port (I already upgraded to a 10G network for most systems)

Besides the Pasrsec gaming VM’s, I also plan to pull over my Ubiquity control (Debian), Guacaomle 1.0 VM (Debian), and ideally the Blue Iris Security Camera system (Windows), over to this server as well.

I was playing with the idea of getting an older Threadripper for this (19xx), but I think I might be fine PCIe lane wise (the second GPU mentioned is an x1 not an x16) with going with a Ryzen CPU instead.

Besides probably boosting RAM sooner than later, any recommendations or changes to the setup? I was a bit concerned about ECC, but it seems this board works with ECC as well.

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.