Vlan can't ping default gateway

When you say you xantbpingbthe gateway do you mean that you can't ping pfsense or that you can't ping the internet?

Have you set the outbound nat to manual? If you have you need to copy the rules that are there and make some for each of the networks you want to have internet access.

Okay, so are all of these on the same pfSense port?

As you specify the vlans for 121.1/24, 122.1/24 and 123.1/24 but what VLAN is your LAN on?

It sounds like you are trying to ram untagged and tagged traffic into one interface.

1 Like

I appreciate the help. I have been a long time lurker on the lvl1 youtube, and this is my first time on here.

Sorry for the delay. I managed to get the high score for the first day and was unable to post.

So I added all the ports to the switch and added (it was already there) all ports to VLAN 1..... The speed is considerably improved, I'm glad I finally did it. All my hard lines have great speed, and the wife is happy.

I still want to make all the other VLANs. I found out that the Apple Express I have is not going to do me any good as all it does is just repeats the Wi-Fi signal it gets. I thought it would take the hardline speed and push out Wi-Fi.

I need at least the main VLAN and a Wi-Fi VLAN. I will post more responses and my settings here later on tonight. I just checked to see if the 24 hrs was up.

Thank you all for your input I mean that.

Cheers
OGB

Not to familiar with the Apple Express but I feel like you should be able to turn off dhcp and have it at only as an ap. Then once you want to tackle vlans again set up your WiFi vlan and have it plug in that port and you have wifi separated from your lan with the appropriate firewall rules in place.

You get any resolution to this? I had my now 3 year olds birthday party this weekend and I was out all weekend spending time with the family

I was busy over the weekend painting and building my server rack. I had to flatten my firewall again, and it is back to complete stock. I have everything on Vlan 1 at the moment, and it is working. I want to have the main LAN and one VLAN for wireless. I should be free to answer any questions you guys ask. I want to thank you for all of your help.

By the way happy birthday to your boy!

You would think that, but it only wants to extend the Wi-Fi it gets via Wi-Fi. I want it to take the Cat5 and be an AP but no joy. I have other wi-Fi AP's to add in its place. I need to get the Wi-Fi VLAN set up first so I can DHCP it.

in terms of wifi, i recommend not using repeater but set up wifi client passthrough / ap handoff - enabling roaming of a wifi client between ap as he moves into ap with better signal. (so you don't shit in your network like repeater does)

only thing that needs to be done, is for those ap's to have connection between themselves through wire (wire-is-better) for associated client-ip handoff. Handoff process is so fast that client won't notice being down / disconnected from network as he moves through building at all - as process happens fast enough windows/linux do not catch the disconnection between ap's. (they differ only the with the channels- sometimes couple MHz differences between hosts)

1 Like

Can someone explain to me why the apple ap won't do what all other access points do when you connect them into your lan via a cable and turn off DHCP. I would like to k ow for future reference when helping on this forum.

what other ap do when you plug them into your lan via cable and turn off dhcp? (what do you expect it to do?, then again its apple what did you expect it do)

1 Like

I have an Apple Extreme in the beginning of my network as the start of the Wi-Fi network. Cable modem> Pfsense> Extreme>Switch. I am setting up my Vlans again and will be screen cap my settings. I hope it works this time as last time I had to flatten my Pfsense.

I'm not sure why they are working the way they are but hey its apple and I need to get it out of my network anyway. I just had them thought I would use them.

you should be able to run in terminal 'sh run' / 'show run' or start or run-config run all that should output whole config in text mode.

The switch is hooked into pfsense directly correct?

Modem>Pfsense>Apple Extreme(creating the Wi-Fi)>Switch. I have a Cisco 3500 Wifi router I am going to change it to once I get the vlans figured out.

Let's put it like this PFsense/Switch/Airport Extreme. That should help with vlans

I tried that but the Extreme didn't like that at all. I will change that and see what happens. I just can't figure out why I can't get the vlans to play nice.

Did you turn off DHCP on the extreme when you did that setup?

Update it is now working, It was a setting in Pfsense was the issue. I hadn't set the any,any,any rule on the interfaces. This video series is the one who got me set up on Pfsense

1 Like