Vitriol in the Linux community

Likes and dislikes and the groupthink they promote might be some of the worst things to have come out of social media.

If people would use the “downvote” button as a “does not add anything to the conversation”, rather than as a “I disagree” button then yeah, that would work. Reddit is a good case study proving that it, unfortunately, does not work.

4 Likes

Well, there is no perfect.
The current system does not seem to.
The other platforms don’t work either, so which is the best of the bad lot of systems?

I wish the fun would stay and the being a dick to see what happens stops.
Learning to be better myself rather engage and cause a scene which everyone wants to chime in on I attempt to just fix it quietly. I just wanna chat learn and share what I learned

1 Like

Which other platforms do you mean? IRC (I do miss the tech IRC heydays), usenet, early forums (including large ones, like the Gentoo forums at their peak) all worked perfectly fine without up-, or downvote systems.

Limited self-moderation (eg. the Slashdot system) apparently can work, however letting a community decide which content is acceptable, as already mentioned, just results in an echo-chamber (see Facebook, Reddit, …).
There’s of course the self-policing, eg. people shoving their distro of choice in a conversation could be told that they’re not actually answering OP’s question. If that doesn’t help then I’d say moderation can bring the thread back on track.
If there are truly rotten apples then it is, imho, up to the moderation team to take care of those. Yes, this means people will have to ignore their posts for a while, but nothing is perfect and I would rather skim over a bunch of drivel every now and then than reside somewhere people are afraid to have an opinion for fear of downvotes.

Perhaps an ignore system (which I don’t think this board has?) would be an option. One I more than likely wouldn’t use personally (I dislike the concept, but that’s another topic entirely), but if people feel that there are some elements that never add anything worthwhile to a discussion then removing the overhead of having to skim over their posts might be of benefit to them.

We do go to the user profile here and click the notification thing near the top set to normal/mute/ignore I have a few ignored

It hides posts you can open to read if another user quotes them it’s blank and if you open to see the whole quote it’s hidden. To read the ignored post that’s quoted you need to go where it is in thread and open it to read it

4 Likes

Oh yeah, I remember that. I can even quote that. I wrote

Happened here.
My comment was one of the first ones, might have been the first actually. And when that got flagged I did follow up explaining that I do in fact mean that as a question because at that point it just was way easier to get a Vega56 to work properly in some distros than an RTX card.

I asked a question… but it was just too much, right?
And that got deleted. Because wrongthink or toxic or something.

This is a prime example of what I mean.

You know who also participated in that thread? And was so awfully thankful and appropriate when the OP posted where he found a solution? This guy:

Very helpful.

Seriously, more live and let live. Please.

1 Like

No.

The A-Socialmedia proves time and time again it just encourages the filter bubble “don’t talk to different minded people”.
Sites like 9gag hide the vote results for a certain time to prevent the “I downvote because others did”-behaviour.

1 Like

I really don’t like posts getting removed, that’s specifically why I don’t flag them. It makes referencing them later difficult. And no, you weren’t the first to post in that thread. There were already other people in there trying to help him. I don’t understand why you think telling someone to spend 500 on another redundant peice of hardware is “helpful” or acceptable.

1 Like

And I don’t understand how a question can be that hurtful or unacceptable that it has to be removed.

btw.: You do understand that telling someone to do something and asking about it are two completely different things, right?

Point is: let people be provocative and sometimes let them vent. The Rocket League topic only went to shite after the “you can’t write that”-posts.

4 Likes

Rocket League thread went off the rails when members started the hate train towards Epic and it’s CEO. That happened before any mod or leader intervened. Vent all you want, but do it in constructive way.

If the purpose is to provoke hate and anger then no. You can criticize what you want in helpful and constructive way but hate threads etc. go against the L1 ethos, hence why forum staff is calling out such behaviour.

3 Likes

And what the purpose of someone’s post is, is no longer decided by the author but the reader?

That’s not how language works. And context matters.

For example I made my point why I put my money into Gabe’s pockets instead of Tim’s.

Of course when my post gets bunched up together with a few others, everything but the hashtag is cut out and suddenly it’s “not ok”.

How is that a thing? And this is happening all the time.

1 Like

It sometimes gets hard to tell. On this forum in particular, there are some mods who have way too much fun throwing bait out there.

Making a thread “mimimi, community always angry” and then having another be like “hey, all you linux people: WINDOWS” (or similar) is not helping the situation.

2 Likes

You’re certainly welcome to say what ever you want. Theres no reason we have to allow some things to be said. If you dont like that, theres other places you can go.

May I ask why do you people put yourselves into position for arguing about nonsense and creating/keeping the drama up? Since I have joined the forum I’ve never actually wrote on such threads because it makes no sense to feed someones troll ego by trying to explain why do why don’t…
I’d rather see people like @SgtAwesomesauce who helped me the most here alongside with other users who helped in various situations regarding little or huge issues while switching to, or using linux mostly by getting into virtualized side of it.

2 Likes

Because its honestly getting old seeing it. Theres plenty of users who have left this forum over similar situations. I choose not to and to engage it instead. Sitting by and watching it happen doesnt change anything. I wasnt made a leader to just sit back and watch threads devolve into hate circle jerking. If you reread what sgt wrote, you’ll find hes pretty sick of it as well.

I appreciate you giving me that option whenever you can.
I’ll stay. But thanks.

Obviously he gets sick of it, its the world we’re “living” in, trolls and overly attached girlfrends all around us, keeping it rolling. But as you interfeere in conversations with “them” you rather give them more reason to h8speach or shittalk, more than reason themselve to be humans and adults. so thats why i think it doesn’t matter wether you say something or not. it still gonna happen. thats in humans nature: to destroy themselve (qute from terminator 3) either phyiscly or mentally.

Thats fine with me. This is ammo to remove them from the community if they resort to that.

Well, I’m glad that you have such positive attitude about making the community “cleaner” at least I hope it doesn’t get worse than it is :stuck_out_tongue: Keep up the work, cya around gotta go to watch Back to the Future II now

2 Likes

The purpose was to show what part of your post was not ok, as Adubs said himself:

I don’t really understand what’s the problem?