Virtualize multiple workstation for the family?

Is it possible to virtualize multiple vm’s on one machine to provide a personal computer for each family member from just one computer?

Is this hard to do?
Is it possible?
Is Linux a good choice?
What about unraid?

Not all the vms need a dedicated gpu…
All the vms need a dedicated mouse / keyboard?

It can be done. The hardware determines implimentation.

Will thin clients be used or will each person have their own peripherals plugged into this machine?

The hardware question is open at the moment. Threadripper possible?

All the thin clients will for sure have a headset, mouse and keyboard.

At least two will need their own gpu while two others can just be software rendering.

In that case, yes TR or Epyc are your best bets for maximum flexibility.

For ease of setup, MS Windows will likely be your candidate, especially for gaming. I don’t know if Looking Glass supports multi seat or not.

You will need a thin client server. Maybe look into Citrix, MS Terminal Services, OpenThinClinet, and etc.

Linus did exactly this, but keep this in mind:

Anything that requires an anti cheat might not work. VAC and Battleye are known to not work. EAC might BSOD the VM.

1 Like

@gnif

how many passthrough VMs do you have setup at the moment?
how many simultaneously?

any trouble free hardware picks?
(are there still agesa bugs / or gpu reboot bugs present or is that a thing of the past?)

On my main rig I have two, one running Linux with a Vega 56, the other running Windows with a 1080Ti. Both are running at the same time always.

As much as I hate to say it, avoid AMD GPUs.

1 Like

yeah the linus thing is pretty cool.

Can the same thing be pulled off with linux? and with hmmmmm more conventional hardware?

that sounds more like what i need. is the host usable or is it just the bed for the vms?

It’s useable via SSH as I only have two GPUs in the system, but one could always add a third and make it also directly usable.

Yes, get a ThreadRipper 1950x or better. I am pretty sure @wendell is selling one of his off right now actually.