Virtual Box

i got the pci devices listed in my terminal, and had no clue which was my gpu, but i narrowed it down to two options. i tried detatching one and got this
error: Failed to detach device pci_0000_01_00_0
error: Operation not supported: neither VFIO nor KVM device assignment is currently supported on this system
so then i tried skipping that and just adding the hardware but i got this once i added it
Error starting domain: unsupported configuration: host doesn't support passthrough of host PCI devices

that would be where you need the iommu.
You also need two graphics cards to make this work because once windows has the gpu then linux doesn't have it. Linux just can't use it at all.

whats iommu
and why cant they just share, itd be so nice

Intel 4570 does have an integrated GPU, so that should be covered. Will that work?

oh thank the linux lords

I don't think so but possibly.
Get a second monitor and hook it up

i have three monitors hooked up, i know that the integrated thing will work. i was reading about how if kvm is managed that the pci device will disconnect from the host as soon as the guest is started, and reconnect to the host when the guest is closed. still no idea what to do though, can somebody tag wendell? he could help

@wendell HELP PLZ

why not also tag @Logan while were at it

im gonna come back to this in the mornin, good luck

Could it be possible to just install Intel drivers and somehow make the system use that and let the GPU itself just kind of chill, and then pass it through to the vm? Not very technically explained, but you get the idea.

Thank You I'll be here all night.
I am getting this.

I get that too if I try to run it as root, but it works when I use "sudo virt-manager" as a normal user.

edit: actually no, that's a different error. I have no idea what went wrong in your case.

for you, ur gonna want to sudo apt-get install libvert-bin then restart then open vmm with sudo

Everytime you try to passthrough a gpu you will get this error because you don't have iommu. If you get this message then you don't have an iommu (input output memory management unit).

If anyone can get this to work without an iommu then how. Please explain in arch verbose levels.

After installing a game I got this.

LINUX LAWYER

facepalm

Can't work if you don't have systemd. Also can't work if libvirt itself is not present on your system. Upgrade to systemd and the command will work. The shortest way to install all virtualization packages is to install qemu, that pulls in all kvm-related packages. Then you only need virt-manager and/or gnome-boxes and lxc is you like that also.

Passthrough is exclusive, gpu passthrough works on some single GPU's though, it basically unbinds the adapter from the host, and linux can run headless no problem, but it only works with AMD GPU's running on KMS drivers. PCI passthrough on the other hand directly routs the PCI slot to the guest, so obviously it doesn't exist anymore to the host. That's why you need two adapters for PCI passthrough.

The reality is that every system is different. All mobos, CPU's, GPU's, etc... behave differently, and all distros are not equal either. You're asking for assistance that is almost impossible to supply, and even if it were possible, it would only be possible with full system logs and debug information and detailed hardware listings. That is just how it is. The hardware and software requirements are well documented on the forum already. Do not try this with old distros, do not try this on older k-parts, do not try this on most "gaming" mobos, etc... Basically, it's only easy to accomplish on an AMD system (anything Phenom II or newer) with an AMD GPU more recent than RHD4k, on a non-Asus mobo with the latest BIOS updates. Any other configurations: expect a lot of really technical problem solving to get it to work.