Virt-manager issues

So I tried doing GPU passthrough but have had no luck, so I’m trying to go back to basics and I’m still even having issues with that. Basically I just want to setup a basic VM (no passthrough at all) and when I run the VM, windows does not boot. Here is my xml:

win10.txt (4.7 KB)

Have you installed Windows on your VM yet? Your boot order shows your disk coming before your cdrom.

What exactly is happening? Are there any errors that pop-up that may hint at something being wrong?

The only thing I see in your XML file that could cause problems for you is that you’re using an illegal copy of the Windows 10 ISO for a UEFI BIOS. Try getting rid of the attachments you don’t need but I doubt they’re causing any trouble.

Didn’t know there are illegal Windows 10 ISOs. You can just download it from microsoft.com

1 Like

Well I’m fairly certain the only thing that makes it illegal is the fact it has an activation crack included in the ISO, which both bypasses the need for a key to be input during install and the need for a key to activate Windows at all.

I remember reading about an issue people were having when trying to get a cracked Windows 10 ISO to boot straight from the UEFI shell, which of course can be solved by using an ISO provided by the download link you provided. :smiley:

I think the crack isn’t in this torrent file though, I’ll try that link, it was in the back of my mind that this could be the issue though haha

1 Like

I couldn’t help but laugh when I saw this

3 Likes

Lol that’s funny xD

Yeah I don’t know exactly what is so different about the cracked version. It only comes up with problems on a UEFI BIOS, which is kinda weird. May be some sort of security thing?

But yeah, hope the official ISO works for you.

1 Like

Not much luck. I used the official media creation tool which probably downloaded the latest build (which I’m told doesn’t work well in virtualised environment). It blue screens unfortunately with system thread exception not handled. Did a little research and added “options kvm ignore_msrs=1” to kvm.conf. Then I get a new error “IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL”. The thing is I already have a bare metal installation (1709 I think) that I’m eventually going to pass through so I don’t even need to do this step.

Media creation tool? Just download the ISO file straight from them, no need to create a different one. https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/software-download/windows10ISO

I had blue-screen issues in one of my VM’s when I was using the SCSI interface for my Hard Disks with Virtio enabled in the controller. But that was on an AMD CPU system so maybe there’s a bug only affecting AMD?

I’ll try that link later today. Yeah I’m on a 2600x, I thought I could bypass using an iso since I already have a bare metal install but I’m pretty sure I don’t have the virtio drivers installed properly.

You need to be using Q35 machine type. I don’t know the exact text to use, but that might help.

ref: line 15:

<type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-i440fx-2.11'>hvm</type>

Also, line 29:

<cpu mode='host-model' check='partial'>

Try changing host-model to either epyc or Opteron_G3

Also, remove check='partial'

Everything else looks good though

EDIT: I would completely rebiuld the XML at this point. The i440 chipset does not have support for PCIe, so you’ll be falling back to PCI (eek!). When oyu build the xml in virt-manager, activate the checkbox that says something along the lines of “edit the configuration before creating” and you’ll be able to change the machine chipset type.

It’s important that Q35 is used, because of the PCIe support, but I doubt it’s the cause of your issues.

EDIT2: It’s 2AM here. I should go to bed…

2 Likes

Please do sir! I’ll let you know how I get on :smiley:

1 Like