Vintage Video Cards

I acquired a couple older video cards, an Radeon x1550 and an nVidia Geforce 7600GT, but am having difficulty googling exactly WHICH manufacturer made them. Is there a repository or something on the web that has a library of this information?

Also, thanks for the accidental your old statement because I dont think of PCIe based cards as being vintage.

I think of S3 and Voodoo when I think vintage.

2 Likes

Well, the X1550 is AGP, the 7600GT is PCIe. Both are supposed to be 512MB cards.

I guess some of us think of VINTAGE GPU’s as being either ISA or PCI based cards, but I have to throw in the classic VESA Local Bus cards too as these could run up to 40MHz when using the older AMD cpu’s.

1 Like

They are more than 15yrs old :slight_smile: At least I didn’t call them antique … yet.

1 Like

Based on the search parameters of that website, my 7600GT … probably isn’t. Hmmm, this makes it a bit more interesting.

These have somehow survived every move since 2000ish.

2x Nvidia gForcec2 MX (NV11) cards
1x Matrox G450
1x Matrox G550

Nice. I’ll have me a collection one day.

im not really collecting them as much as I am not throwing them out. They just happen to be in a box full of old heatsinks that I never cleaned out and moved from house to house for the last 20 years.

Post up pictures. The GPUDB is severely lacking on older AIB models, but if you post pictures of the cards we can get an idea of what you have.

this is the card I can’t identify easily. I tried putting it in an older Dell system with a fresh install of Win10, but Windows doesn’t see it. Device Manager does show an Unknown Device.

Based on trying to Google the box or anything else, I think this may be a fake?

There’s nothing under the stickers on the box, just a clean color where they were originally put on there a long time ago.

Palit 7600gt maybe?

2 Likes

That was my initial thought too, but Palit had a distinct style for the 7 series with a red PCB and black cooler.

So it appears to be one of those Shenzhen Factory Direct Amazon Store Specials™

This is the closest resemblance I could find from what I would assume is the same “manufacturer”.

I took the heatsink off and found … this? I tried googling the numbers and nothing comes up

Looks like an nvidia card. Like, how we had blower cards then the aftermarket

nVidia’s reference design uses their box cooler, has SLI support, and is GDDR3:

The 7600 GS has both non-SLI and SLI supporting models, and uses DDR2 (reference spec).

1 Like

The FCC id under the black pad might give a clue, at least to the reference creator.
Or if it can be found elsewhere.

That’s defiitely close. the Fan connector is in a different spot, and there’s more caps on mine, which I just realized are all popped on the tops.

Oh well, it was $7 on the goodwill.com website. No big loss there. Been doing PC work since the mid-90’s. I finally got a fake video card from 2006, 15 yrs late! Bwahahahaha. This will make good content for my youtube.

Look at the second image in the Amazon link and it is the exact same card as yours. What you have is a late production (2008) attempt to use up supply of G73 chips that probably got sold in bulk from the original AIB that ordered them. They slapped on the absolute cheapest VRAM they could, gave it a fairly generic (7300 GT in this case) PCB layout, and slapped it into an unlabeled box.