Viewing logs and diagnosing issues FreeNAS

Hey, Ive been trying to use FreeNAS for a while now, the issue that I keep having is that some error will occur and I will have no idea how to solve it. Ill find myself googling but to no avail. Then ill just end up reinstalling FreeNas/reconfiguring after the issue seems to cause some fatal issue at least from the WebGui.

TLDR:How do I find out what goes wrong with my FreeNAS box. Thanks for your guys quick responses.

Errors: Plex not starting, smartd_damon is not running

Well if the old google has no help post your errors here and see what we can do to help.

thats part of the problem the errors that I get are vauge and im pretty sure there is an underlying problem that is generating instability

Bunch of us here use freenas. Worse that can happen is we can’t help and your in the same spot.
I assume you are looking at the errors that show up when you click on the red blinking light.

Yea the errors are that when I try to start Plex media server I get some error occured and I was trying to find out what error occured. And I also get an error that smartd_daemon is not running.

This has persisted across multiple fresh installs?
Have you tried downloading the ISO again and reloading the USB drive?
I assume you are using freenas stable and fully up to date?

1 Like

I have reinstalled it multiple times and used multiple isos, It is not fully up to date because everytime I have updated FreeNas it breaks a plethera of things, however if you think that i would work im willing to try it. The iso was from the 11.2-RC1, so i could install plex media server on it.

What hardware are you using and what guides for plex?

Someone else was also having problems with plex on 11.2. You should stick with 11.1 stable for starters and troubleshoot from there.

1 Like

i5-3575K
12GB ram
4X2TB barracuda drives

I think I found the solution: http://doc.freenas.org/9.10/cli.html#freenas-debug
and I will also try reinstalling with 11.1

I found a solution
1 I believe smartd_daemon was not running due to only a flash drive being plugged in for Testing purpose

2 Since I was using a Flash Drive I tried swapping the flash drives out and installing the newest stable version and that stopped other errors from popping up