Video Tearing Issues Ubuntu MATE 14.04

I have Video Tearing Issues in Ubuntu MATE 14.04 and I tried to use Compiz and it works, the only problem I have with Compiz is that it's giving me flickering when I hover my mouse on Browser and even on Terminal.

Is there any way I can solve this? I have an NVIDIA GT210 with Drivers stock from Ubuntu! I added PPA from xorg-edgers and from mamarley PPA seperately but it didn't made any difference, I think it's definitely no issue with NVIDIA Drivers but something related to Compiz and MATE.

I am not sure exactly but it might be an OpenGL issue! I don't know!

If you know any solution regarding this please do not hesitate to answer! I would be very appreciated if you know the solution better than every article I could find.

:)

Can you figure out what version of openGL compiz is trying to use?

I am using 'Compiz 0.9.11.3' and I am running 'OpenGL string: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 331.113'

With Ubuntu, the only DE you won't find tearing in is Gnome. I have tried XFCE, KDE, and MATE. They all tear. I have tried Compiz and Compton, it still tears. I have tried modifications to both the nvidia-settings.rc and xorg.conf files, it still tears. I have also switched between Nvidia and AMD graphics, and it still tears.

In short, try another version of Ubuntu or go with another distro.

1 Like

Thanks for the input! I will try GNOME 3 with Fallback session!

I know mostly GNOME 3 it may require Compiz but as an alternative I will try to configure if necessary the /etc/environment file without Compiz and see what happens.

EDIT: I am running Antergos (GNU/Linux) Arch Linux based with GNOME 3 and it runs beautifully without any Video Tearing issues with Nouveau driver plus I use GNOME Classic (Fallback) and it's more responsive as well.

I will stick to GNOME then no matter what! :D