Video Game Design 101 YouTube series

Hey guys.
I am starting a bit of a shift in my YouTube channel. The shift is less and less regurgitation of videogame content, meaning NO MORE LET'S PLAYS, and moving more towards a bit more "original" content.
The first step of it was my game development series of videos...
The second step is starting another series of "original" content. So i started this series about game design.

The pilot episode is up, already working on the next one as well as on the game dev videos.

Just wanted to share this with the community.
Any feedback will be welcome.
Sorry for the shameless shill of shamelessness without any shame.

8 Likes

I really look forward to watching this. I will save it for when I am in my usual mode of watching videos at the end of the day. It will be nice to see something that isn't just the normal stuff I see which is game reviews, people playing games, etc.

1 Like

This looks pretty promising, now waiting for episode 1! You definitely have enthusiasm so I guess if you try you could go far, this is also an interesting idea so I hope this gets recognised for its different style :P

Also ...good choice of game :3

1 Like

Cool idea for video series. Comparisons between mechanics, progressions, art, etc is intriguing.

Now I'm going to give you some feedback.... I will try to be as constructive as possible but I will be honest.

I only watched the video all the way through so I could give you feedback. 99% of people are going to skip to a different video after about 5 seconds in. There were a couple problems...

1) There was about 8 seconds of content in 4:30 of video.

At 2:40-2:44 you hinted at drawing comparisons between skyrim and darksouls, and at 4:00 you promised "first impressions to games" in future videos. All the rest of the video was either telling me what you're gonna tell me in the future or telling me about what games you like to play. Honestly I don't care what games you like to play, this is not why I would want to learn from a video serious about game design. And don't tell me what you're gonna tell me, just tell me. There is nothing more boring than, "In the next episode I'm going to tell you something." -> "In this episode I'm going to tell you something." -> "Now I"m going to tell you something." JUST TELL ME!

2) Don't start the video with "what's up guys".

If you want to rise above lets-play video where the average watcher is trained to skim through a video to find the good parts, you're gonna have to have to start thinking about structure of the video. You cannot dub in unscripted commentary about random stuff and expect to keep a youtuber watcher's attention. Here is a pattern as an example target.

Interesting intro to get you through the next 10 seconds -> juicy part 1 to get you through the next 30 seconds -> food for thought part 2 to get you to the end of the video.

If you start with "what's up guys" most people will instantly skip the first 1/3 of the video to look for content. If they don't find any in the next 4 seconds, they will give up and move to the next video.

3) Talk faster.

Your english is pretty good. But, it wouldn't hurt to practice talking faster.

Recording what you want to say, listening to it, and recording it again will help you notice when you use filler words and also help you remove unnecessary sentences from what you want to say. Boil down the script to only what needs to be said.

4 Likes

I see... That was supposed to be an introductory episode, so I didn't plan on putting any significant content in. The important stuff are coming in the later episodes. But I understand what you mean. I can promise you, the actual episodes will have slightly more than 8sec.

Working on that for the last couple days.

Working on that for the last 2 days as well...

Have you read my cliff notes? I have not used those words exactly, but I am making a series specific intro, and I have made 3 stage script for the episode - brief part one with some stuff and part 2 with the actual food for thought... Part 3 are the actual examples and will take most of the video.

I know. That's the Bain of my existence. I talk slow in real life as well, it's not just here. But even I noticed it in this video.
Guess I will have to re-record more than usual.

Thank you for that. I can't expect anything more.

2 Likes

Uploaded episode 1...
Your video contains copyrighted content. You don't have to take it down, but the owner of the content will take all your 3 cents... Eventually, if the video picks up...
SIGH
7 hours editing, 3:30 hours rendering...

Well, let's try again...

Ask the owner of the copyrighted content, if you could display their content.

It's sad that they wanna take your 3 cents. Those butt holes, don't they got enough money?

1 Like

Meh... It's Namco Bandai. It's not really crucial content for the video at all. It was honestly just a filler, but atleast now i know not to use that game anymore.
The worst thing is i need to re-render the video again, and it's 5:30 am... I should have uploaded it and gone to bed... But i will upload it later when i wake up.

That's the trouble with Youtube. I would start making a list of things that trigger copyright against you so you can keep track of it because I can promise you now that it's not just going to be Namco Bandi. I would be careful with anything Nintendo as well.

1 Like

And i already had issues with Ubisoft...That is kinda killing a lot of games for me, not to mention examples for the series...

Anyways, Ep. 1 is up... Starting work on ep.2 of this and ep.7 of the game maker series...

2 Likes

you could have been harder lol if i were this guy i would want the upmost criticism otherwise i would look back with embarrassment.

1 Like

Most professional YouTubers have editing teams and thousands of dollars worth of equipment...
I am just starting. Of course I will be looking back at those videos with embarrassment.
But I disagree with

If it is too harsh I will just filter it out.

That is the thing I want. Not really harsh response.

1 Like

Love shows like this, very fun

1 Like

Just do the Jim Sterling method if you have to @psycho_666

3 Likes

I know that. I just don't want to use ut. I want to be as clean as possible at least for now...

3 Likes

It's easier for Jim Sterling because lots of people will notice if he disappears.

I would avoid this a bit until you're a bit bigger.

That said, you've got some pretty good content so you've earned a non-adblock'd sub.

1 Like

I'm losing my shit over this video right now.

"all sins are equal" "If I want to talk over lord of the rings footage, I will"

This man is wonderful.

2 Likes

I don't always agree with him on some games and his political stuff

But that video there...work of art, I love it and thank god for him lol if I start a channel, will be applying what he lays down

(Also the boglin toy stuff is great, love those things lol)

2 Likes

Why does he have the Penetrator, and why did he find it necessary to lick it?

I mean, it's fucking hilarious and maybe I'm not secure enough, but I find that a bit too forward.

I'm tempted to make a video that's just a compilation of Mario let's play, Ubisoft trailer, Namco Bandi in-game content all to the sound track of "You give love a bad name" because it's just too damn appropriate and it will probably trigger a claim.

2 Likes

He's a deviant, and very open about it.... Should see what he does with POGs.....

Do it, pm me the link lol that sounds awesome