Video card recommendation for Linux (wayland)

Development takes time, you cant expect all software to switch over over night. And I'll even say some software will never get wayland support (thats why xwayland exists), but most modern software will get support over time.

Its not a simple switch.

1 Like

Wayland is just that, a spec.... Compositors implement that spec. A spec with more security in mind, a world in which you should not be able to write an app that can sniff another apps accessibility tree or install hooks to steal passwords... etc like you can do now in X11.

Sure there are missing features from the spec, like remote desktop and screen recording.
X11 spec also does not cover screen recording BTW. Its just that ANY app can take a picture of you entire desktop and send it online. ANY app, including webbrowsers, worms...etc.

Wayland on the other hand does not allow this at the protocol/spec level, instead they give that choice to the compositor. For example Mutter might decide to expose an API so that this can be done.

So back to topic :)

RX 480 seems to be the best for wayland, and gnome 3.24 it might support the Nvidia codepath.

I want to play with it and see if I can use it with no troubles, we will have to see.

Any polaris GPU, and any vega GPU (once Linux 4.12 is released (we think))

Lets say, I waited for MBP refresh for over 2 years, I waited for Zen for over 1 year.... If I wait for vega then something else might come along and I will wait some more... is the never ending story!! in this waiting game my desktop is now 10 years old!!!! OMG!!! bios from 2006! with a few updates like SDD's running under speed... I did update the video card to a 550ti back in the day!

polaris GPUs are great right now. go for it.

1 Like

How well does the 1050ti play with multiple displays? I'm a two 1080p monitors at 60hz kind of guy seeing as how I only play chess, go and civilization rarely.

just driving displays? should be fine.

Gnarr. I care the most about my card being quiet.

Honestly a lot worse can do 2x 1080/60. shouldn't be an issue provided you have the requisite connectors

What would those be, I usually use laptops but want to upgrade to a nice desktop and ditch the laptops so I don't really know a lot about the hardware

I seem to remember my 5750 on 2 displays just fine

as long as it isn't like, AGP, chances are it'll work.

I am linux + AMDGPU and I HATE it.

FIND OUT how this young man switched display servers using THIS ONE WEIRD TRICK

1 Like

Can I use any rx 480? are there differences between the vendors, or those differences are just independent of drivers?

I am looking for a quiet one that does not spin when not gaming. like:
PowerColor RED DEVIL RX 480 8GB

I usually buy Sapphire because they actually make the protos and pro versions for AMD itself. I've never had bad experiences with them, but then I haven't heard much bad from any AMD card vendor tbh, and I wouldn't pay extra for a brand lol

Yeah, you can use any version of the car. They​ all use the same drivers.

I've heard good things about the powercolor brand but never used them myself

The red devil unfortunately doesn't have a good power delivery system. So I'd advise ​against that. Choose the next cheapest.