Via's upcoming KX-7000 CPU to have current gen zen preformance by 2019

Original article: http://www.pcgameshardware.de/CPU-Hardware-154106/News/VIa-AMD-KX-7000-schnell-Zen-1246922/
Google Translated article: https://translate.google.sk/translate?hl=sk&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcgameshardware.de%2FCPU-Hardware-154106%2FNews%2FVIa-AMD-KX-7000-schnell-Zen-1246922%2F

I originally discovered that Via is looking to get back in the PC game through this Anandtech forum thread, and just saw that article linked above posted on it today. This is especially interesting as Via is the only remaining company outside of AMD and Intel to have a x86 license. I’m really interested to hear what others have to hear about this, with the timeline of this taking place.

5 Likes

When this comes out, it may be interesting to see how it compares.
Very nice read (yay, german!)

1 Like

VIA is actually becoming relevant again?

I didn’t think I’d see the day.

3 Likes

I don’t think it will be ever relevant to us until we see VIA cpus and motherboards for consumers.

2 Likes

Well, I wouldn’t sat that…
It may still be interesting if it is crazy cheap. but by then there will be couple new Intel CPU gens and Zen2, proper Zen2… So there’s that… But it would be even crazier performance jump than Bulldozer - Zen…

Here’s a phoronix article on the matter as well.

Personally I dojn’t think there will be too crazy a leap in performance, but then again Intel and AMD are competing again and I’d love to be wrong.

1 Like

They are talking about catching up to wherever AMD will be in 2019, not the current generationf of Zen.

Wie Tralalak berichtet sollen diese Prozessoren das Level von den AMD-Prozessoren zur selben Zeit erreichen, also vermutlich Zen 2 im Jahr 2019.

Translation:

As reported by Tralalak these processors are supposed to reach the level of AMD processors at the same time, so presumably Zen 2 in 2019.

Shush you… I don’t want my 1700X to become irrelevant in an year or so…

Ooooohhhh… Hm… Now that will be interesting. I would love them to join the graphics market though… We need competition in there.

1 Like

I’m guessing zen 2 or what ever they call it will improve on the bits where zen didnt do that well in and get the peformance up by at least 10%

and if we have a 3rd competitor even lower prices so yay!!!

1 Like

Where VIA has historically been good has been in power consumption, less than 20 watts for many of their products.

Sipping power and having moderate power would be a great combo for not only mom and dad’s computer, but also embedded applications like POS and signage.

We’ll have to wait and see how it ends up being though before passing judgement.

I doubt they’ll manage to catch up so fast tbh. Chances are they need money and make big promises now they won’t be able to keep.

As far as graphics go, intel is joining the graphics market at least :slight_smile:

They are merely tired of Nvidias shenanigans.

That should rather be Imagination Technologies(Power VR) domain IMHO, sadly they never entered the PC market and chose to go after the mobile market well before it took off.

PowerVR’s technology isn’t well suited for high performance desktop rendering. Their technology works best for simple scenes and on bandwidth limited hardware (Phones don’t have GDDR memory after all.)

So I guess it’s best they don’t make any desktop cards :smiley:

My point is they have the experience and know-how to design graphics HW where VIA just acquired a part of the S3 Graphics that basically went on to do nothing new or innovative until HTC ended up buying the whole thing instead. So VIA’s got nothing for graphics, no skill, no experience.