VIABLE Adobe CC Alternatives

If they were files to begin with, realtime capture of a file on an Atomos Recorder is inefficient. FFmpeg is what you have to use to transcode everything.

Well, yeah… I am talking about DNx recording on Atomos recorders.

Maybe I don’t understand your usecase. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Taking files from a GH5/GH5S/S1 SD card which is shot in H264, you CANNOT edit the files directly in Resolve for Linux. You have to transcode the files to DNx after you transfer off of your SD card.

Not everyone has endless terabytes of storage so smaller source files are better for archiving, but because you have to transcode, your project files balloon to gigantic size because you have to transcode to even begin working with the footage.

Yeah, that does not make sense to me. H264 is not meant for editing. It has technical limitations that are just plain bad for that. It’s fine for output and publishing on the web but you want DNx or ProRes as source files.

If you don’t have the money for that, you don’t have the money to do video at any level.

What kind of elitism is this?
All you need to make videos is a Smartphone. Takes video, the microphones are not too bad, there is editing software.

You don’t need a Sony F65 and a huge budget for a VLOG channel!

1 Like

Fine.

There, fixed.

1 Like

Space constraints are where Long GOP codecs are heavily favored versus Intra-only codecs. Gamers Nexus re-compresses their B-Roll for archiving using Handbrake (But I told them at LTX to switch to FFmpeg + bash scripts) because it has massive space savings:

That is the point, archiving. If you want to be able to use a b-roll clip later on, you are probably keeping these clips in separate files already. So, it’s really just: shoot new video in DNx, find clips to reuse, throw those clips into conversion (which will be fast because it is not compute intensive), edit, render, done.

Look, if you actually want to take advantage of the capabilities that davinci resolve (or any professional editor, really) is offering, you are not using H264 in the edit.