VFX Threadripper Pro build for Cad and 3d

Just looking at options for a GIGABYTE AMD WRX80 Motherboard with TRP 3975X for VFX. I looked up the QVL for Ram and it seems to be all ECC memory. I’ve only built regular TR and Intel i9 systems with non ECC memory so I’m not familiar. I figure if your going TR Pro why not 512GB memory? I’m looking at 8 DDR4-2933 SAMSUNG M393A8G40MB2-CVF 64GB 2Rx4 R-Dimm’s. I can get 256GB 3200 Gskills with 14 latency that aren’t on the list for about half the price… my question is, what would be better route? This all with 2 3090s with NVlink, 1600w PSU, Noctura cooler. We do a lot with CAD models and 3d animation and VFX so looking for a workstation that bridges the gap between the 2 worlds.

256GB will probably be fine. If you go the ECC route make sure to get 3200MHz kits.

In my experience 256gb is plenty for “most people” IRL, it comes down to what the actual on machine workflow is, ie like what size are these models (known performance stats (ram usage)), and then what they actually are going to do…ie like “oh no mr IT guy I only do one thing at a time” vs the "na I got my spotify 3 models, this other one, started this side thing, looked at this plugin, and I love chrome too <33 haha. TLDR 256gb covers most things, average “I do big stuff” but if you have something really special or someone a little on the edge maybe 512gb isn’t a “wrong” decision either. All the best with this!! Very exciting stuff

ome thing to remember with wrx is that xmp isnt a thing. I highly recommend JEDEC ECC DDR4 3200 since most gaming memory isn’t actually 3200 natively, only on the xmp profile

3 Likes

LiquidSquad, noted, thanks!

poomer…I do Cad model, photo real animations (for advertising) direct from manufacturers and engineers with thousands of parts, millions of polys, usually simulated for whatever the product does. I can be running up to 5 plus programs at a time sometimes plus all the extras, plugins, all Adobe, chrome, youtube. Sometimes high end stills, CPU or GPU…

wendell… so basically, yes running the regualar memory I am used to, shows less than what it is. I’m guessing the JEDEC ECC though actually runs what it says and TRP is optimized to run it?

Finalizing a similar build - MOBO arrives tomorrow. How did you decide on an NVlink?

Bumperdoo…Well, that I’m not positive of yet as someone mentioned it gave Arnold a pretty big boost 20 to 50 percent, but I’m using Octane, so not sure of this detail yet.

1 Like

You’ll have to A-B test and report your findings.

Well good sir you definitely sound more like a 512gb idealy if your budget can swing it. However I’m sure prudent management could make 256gb work…but eh where’s the fun then? haha Sounds like you do some cool work for sure! This will be a very exciting upgrade from the sound of it #allthethings

nice! one day i hope to have my second 3090… i went with the samsung 64s. there is a good chance i am going to have to do a lot of simulation work in the near future and decided the 512 will for sure be utilized. my previous 128 machine has maxed out ram before.

also going to try and raid some nvmes into that add on card for a cache drive.

what kind of cad work you doing? automotive? industrial? i grew up on autocad and actually bought the educational version that was bundled with the first build of 3d studio dos

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.