Vfio not in initial ramdisk

I have been attempting to get a GPU to get the proper driver to load for about a week now, and have gotten no-where. The pinned guide has given me some idea of what I may need to work on however. I could use some eyes on the configs.

Running

lsinitramfs /boot/initrd.img-5.0.0-13-generic |grep vfio

I have been unable to get more than

scripts/init-top/bind_vfio.sh
usr/lib/modules/5.4.0-7634-generic/kernel/drivers/vfio
usr/lib/modules/5.4.0-7634-generic/kernel/drivers/vfio/mdev
usr/lib/modules/5.4.0-7634-generic/kernel/drivers/vfio/mdev/mdev.ko
usr/lib/modules/5.4.0-7634-generic/kernel/drivers/vfio/mdev/vfio_mdev.ko

/etc/initramfs-tools/modules

softdep amdgpu pre: vfio vfio_pci
vfio
vfio-iommu-type1
vfio-virqfd
vfio-pci ids=1002:67ff,1002:aae0
options vfio-pci ids=1002:67ff,1002:aae0
vfio-pci
amdgpu

/etc/modules

vfio
vfio-iommu-type1
vfio-pci
vfio-virqfd

grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet splash amd_iommu=on iommu=pt vfio_pci.ids=1002:67ff,1002:aae0 kvm_amd.npt=1 kvm_amd.avic=1”

I have been bashing my head against this long enough and combined multiple tutorials to where I have no idea what is needed anymore. Help is greatly appreciated.

Hardware is an Nvidia primary GPU, AMD passed through GPU, on a Threadripper cpu. Pop_OS 20.04.

Hello and welcome back to lvl1techs!

What does “lspci -k” return?

Have you ran “update-grub”? =) The changes you’ve made seem a-ok… It should work - your gpu should be bound to vfio.

I had a nagging feeling that Pop_OS uses systemd-boot for the boot process. I googled a bit and according to this: On a fresh install of Pop!_OS 18.04, systemd-boot is used rather than the GRUB bootloader it does.

To check if you have systemd-boot, look inside

esp/loader/ or esp/loader/entries

with ls. esp meaning where your boot folder/partition lies - Usually at /boot/ or similar.

For changing the boot flags on systemd-boot please refer to Archwiki - Systemd-boot

3 Likes

Having combined multiple tutorials, and with dealing with this over a long time, I TOTALLY was not using GRUB where I though I was. Thanks for pointing out where to check that, and for the wiki link on how to edit it.

1 Like