VFIO GPU Passthrough in Proxmox? (3700x,rtx 2060)

A gracious request for some help with vfio. I am currently following “The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to GPU Passthrough (Proxmox, Windows 10)”, on Reddit.

Here is my setup:
Gigabyte Aorus X570 ITX Motherboard
Nvidia RTX 2060
AMD Ryzen 3700x

I put more information in a post on Proxmox’s forums. I would put it here, but I will wait to keep the post short.

“iothread is only valid with virtio disk or virtio-scsi-single controller, ignoring
kvm: -device vfio-pci,host=0000:09:00.0,id=hostpci1.0,bus=ich9-pcie-port-2,addr=0x0.0,multifunction=on: vfio 0000:09:00.0: device is already attached
TASK ERROR: start failed: QEMU exited with code 1”

Anyone have an ideas how to fix this?

Thanks!

Looks like one warning, one error.

First one is a warning

iothread is only valid with virtio disk or virtio-scsi-single controller, ignoring

This is in your CPU definition, you have an iothread pinned to a core, but aren’t using any virtio disk devices. Typcially virtio disks provide the best performance, whether connected to a real device, a partition or just a qcow2 file. If you post your full XML file it will be a lot easier to troubleshoot.

Second one is an error

kvm: -device vfio-pci,host=0000:09:00.0,id=hostpci1.0,bus=ich9-pcie-port-2,addr=0x0.0,multifunction=on: vfio 0000:09:00.0: device is already attached

I believe it’s saying your pci device is already in use somewhere, and not available for this guest. Again, seeing the whole config file might help, along with the rest of the usual debug informations (lspci, dmesg, etc)

1 Like

Thank you for your reply! You were correct that seeing the whole config would help, as I was able to figure out that I had 09:00.0 listed twice in the config! I’m not sure if I accidentally added the GPU twice, or the audio device didn’t get inserted correctly into the config. For now, I removed the audio device, and the VM starts!

Now, I’m stuck on the code 43 error. My grub line currently looks like this: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=“quiet amd_iommu=on iommu=pt pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction video=efifb:off”

Happy to follow up that my RTX 2060 is working! I did not change anything in GRUB from my previous post. I just had to change the PCI Device Configuration through teh web gui of Proxmox.

I think the code 43 I was receiving was specifically due to me previously having “Primary GPU” disabled. I had left this on, as guides mention that you need it disabled for the web console to work.

I currently have my rom file listed in my vm config.

My working settings needed are this:
All Functions: Disabled
Rom Bar: Enabled
Primary GPU: Enabled
PCI Express:Enabled

1 Like

Hi, I just signed up up in order to thank you.

I have a 3700x/1600 6go and your comments made the combo work just fine.

Thank’s!